First Look at Whitney Houston as Jordin Sparks' Mother in 'Sparkle'
How Whitney Houston and Jordin Sparks will look like as mother and daughter in "Sparkle" has been unveiled in a first look image from the film. The freshly released photo gives a look at Houston as she holds Sparks' arms while standing close to the "American Idol" alum.
Dressing up in gorgeous dresses, Houston and Sparks are seen standing together in what seems to be a dressing room. The "I Will Always Love You" veteran diva is seen donning a glossy gray dress that she paired with a bejeweled necklace, while the "No Air" hitmaker is seen rocking a daring low-cut red gown that she combined with hoop earrings.
In the upcoming drama, Houston plays a "not-so encouraging mother" of the titular character, who is portrayed by Sparks. The film is inspired by the story of The Supremes. It follows the journey of the three Williams sisters, who begin singing in Harlem in the late 1950 before finding fame as a girl group. Their sudden rise, however, unravels their personal lives.
"Sparkle" is a remake of the 1976 music-themed film of the same title. The movie will mark Sparks' first acting stint and Houston's first movie since 1996's "The Preacher's Wife". They will be joined by Mike Epps, Cee-Lo, Omari Hardwick, Tika Sumpter, Derek Luke and Carmen Ejogo.
Serving behind the lens is Salim Akil, whose wife Mara Brock Akil pens the screenplay. The couple also serve as the producers along with Debra Martin Chase, TD Jakes and Curtis Wallace. TriStar Pictures has scheduled for the movie to be released in the U.S. theaters on August 10.
- Demi Lovato and Joe Jonas Bring 'Camp Rock' Back to D.C. Concert. See Their Onstage Reunion
- Is Lindsay Lohan Really Pregnant? See Picture of Her Smoking in Sardinia
- Heath Ledger's Dad Blames Son for His Tragic Death: 'It Was Totally His Fault'
- Spidey's Suit Will Have New Abilities in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'
- Mr. Robot 2.05 Preview: This Is What You Wanted
- JoJo Was Forced to Inject Herself to Lose Weight Fast
- Calvin Harris Is Avoiding Kanye West Collab Amid Taylor Swift Feud
- 'Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life' Gets First Teaser and Premiere Date