'Toddlers and Tiaras' Mother to Clear Daughter Name With Lawsuit Against Media Outlets
A "Toddlers & Tiaras" mother is waging a legal war against media outlets over stories about her 5-year-old daughter's club performance. On Tuesday, January 24, Susanna Barrett filed a $30 million libel suit against the parent companies of TMZ, the Huffington Post, London's Daily Mail in Manhattan Supreme Court.
In her suit, Susanna stated that the online articles published by the three sites "brazenly attempt to sexualize" Isabella by "claiming she was gyrating in a nightclub and singing about her sex appeal". She pointed out that her 5-year-old "did not understand the concept of sex, let alone 'sex appeal' and could not have been singing about her own sex appeal."
Susanna complained, "On the contrary, it is the defendants who, through their articles, have thrust these false and vulgar characteristics on to Isabella. As a result, Isabella is now perceived sexually, erotically and pornographically." She added that the articles "have placed Isabella in serious physical danger, attracting the attention of others who would seek to sexualize a child."
A video of Isabella covering LMFAO's "Sexy and I Know It" originally came out via TMZ with claim that it was taken at a nightclub. Susanna, however, clarified to CNN that they were actually at "a pet friendly charity event at an American bistro restaurant in New York City at 7:19 P.M. It was a private well-lit event with vendor tables and pets in attendance."
In her statement, Susanna further said, "After this firestorm, I quickly protected my daughter by having cease and desist orders sent to most media outlets that ran the story. I intend to clear my daughter's name."
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby
- Mama June Feels 'Like Frankenstein' After Skin Removal Surgery. Is She Giving Up?
- Blake Shelton and Gwen Stefani 'Torn Apart' by Her 'Flirtation' With 'The Voice' Contestant
- Katy Perry Reportedly Still Loves John Mayer. Will They Rekindle Their Romance?
- Trey Songz Slams Nicki Minaj: She Ain't Had S**t Before Me
- Han Solo Movie Adds 'Sing Street' Star Ian Kenny