Amber Portwood Could Escape Jail Sentence in Probation Violation Case
Amber Portwood is stepping closer to get her freedom back. The "Teen Mom" star is staring down a five-year prison sentence after being arrested on December 19, 2011 for allegedly violating her probation, but her plea deal for the case may give her option to avoid serving any time behind bar at all.
TMZ reported that the 21-year-old struck a plea deal that required her to plea guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance and one count of probation violation. As part of the agreement, she will have the case dismissed if she successfully completes a court-mandated drug rehabilitation program.
However, the mother of one will immediately be sent to prison to begin serving a five-year sentence should she fail to comply with the terms of the plea deal. A February 6 hearing will determine whether or not the judge approve the deal. In the meantime, the MTV star remains in custody.
Portwood, who was arrested for felony charges of domestic battery and neglect in December 2010, spent another Christmas behind bars after being accused of violating several terms of her probation, including failing to submit a drug test, failing to complete her anger management classes and failing to deposit $10,000 into an education fund for her toddler daughter, Leah.
- Taylor Swift Who? Calvin Harris Gets Flirty With Mystery Brunette While Partying in Cabo
- Apple in Talks to Buy Jay-Z's Tidal
- Kylie Jenner Calls Tyga Her 'Husband' on Snapchat
- Lindsay Lohan Writing Tell-All Book About Her Life
- 'Wreck-It Ralph 2' Gets 2018 Release Date, Hints at Internet Setting
- Rihanna Is Queen of the Universe in 'Sledgehammer' Music Video
- Lady GaGa Responds to Dalai Lama Controversy
- Idris Elba, Michael B. Jordan, John Boyega Join Academy After OscarsSoWhite Backlash