'Elfquest' Movie Reportedly Aborted Because of 'The Hobbit'
The long-awaited big screen take on comic book series "Elfquest" has been aborted by Warner Bros. Pictures, and the comics' creator Wendy Pin claimed that "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey" was to blame. Pin revealed on "Elfquest" Facebook page that Warners has said "no" to the comic adaptation to avoid it from competing with Peter Jackson's "Hobbit".
"After close to four years of suspense, and no longer than four years of your much-appreciated interest and support, the word has come down from Warner Bros. And the word is 'no'," so Pin wrote. "Their simple explanation is that they don't want to compete with 'The Hobbit'. This was a possibility, among several, that we were prepared for. It is a relief, at last, you know."
The movie adaptation of the famed comic book series had been developed at Warners since July 2008. "Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story" helmer, Rawson Marshall Thurber, was supposed to direct the film and write the screenplay. The filmmaker even touted the project back at the 2008 San Diego Comic Con.
"Elfquest" itself is based on 1978's cult comics by Wendy and Richard Pini. The story centers on a tribe of elves known as the Wolfriders. They attempt to survive and link with other dispersed elves on an Earth-like planet with two moons, while also on the lookout for tribes of humans and trolls, both of which acted as allies and enemies.
- Lamar Odom Caught Partying With Scantily-Clad Ladies at Strip Club and Smoking Marijuana
- Watch First Trailer for Sundance Hit 'Manchester by the Sea' Starring Casey Affleck
- I'm Guilty! 'Obsessed' Kim Kardashian Admits She Steals Things From Hotels
- Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Already Have Their First 'Major' Fight - What Is It About?
- Is The Flash Coming to 'Big Bang Theory'?
- Miley Cyrus Reportedly Pays for Everything in Her Relationship With Liam Hemsworth
- Prince William Says He Still Misses Princess Diana Every Day and We Can't Help Tearing Up
- Will X-Men Join Avengers in 'Infinity War'? Here's What Joe Russo Says