Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver's 'Red Lights' Sold to Millennium at Sundance
Another major acquisition has just been closed at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival on Tuesday, January 24. After Fox Searchlight bought the distribution rights to Sundance darling "Beasts of the Southern Wild", it is now reported that Millennium Entertainment has bought the Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver-starring supernatural thriller "Red Lights".
Multiple sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the movie was sold to Millenium for just under $4 million despite the fact that it cost between $15 million and $17 million to produce. The film itself has been receiving mixed reviews from critics since it was premiered at the Eccles Theatre last Friday, January 20.
Filmed in Barcelona and Toronto, "Red Lights" follows a para-psychologist who attempts to debunk a very reputable psychic, who has just returned to the limelight after 30 years. In addition to De Niro and Weaver, the paranormal thriller stars Elizabeth Olsen, Cillian Murphy and Toby Jones. Serving as the director and screenwriter is Rodrigo Cortes.
Of the acquisition, Millennium CEO Bill Lee said in a statement, "We are thrilled with 'Red Lights' and excited to distribute the film. This definitely has theatrical potential and we plan to give it a standard theatrical platform release, with ancillaries coming 90-100 days later."
"We came to Sundance with the intention of buying 'Red Lights' if it was good, and we thought Rodrigo did a fabulous job with the film," Lee continued. "UTA was terrific to deal with, and we're both thrilled and proud to distribute the film."
Aside from "Red Lights", Millennium has bought the U.S. rights to "A Little Bit of Heaven" at this year's Sundance. The romantic comedy film stars Kate Hudson and Whoopi Goldberg.
- Katy Perry Teases New KP4 Song 'Witness'
- J.Lo and Alex Rodriguez Are Head Over Heels for Each Other
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Attend Funeral for His Nephew
- Ed Sheeran Forgets Lyrics During Live Performance
- Watch Second Trailer for 'Justice League'
- Nicki Minaj Teases Music Video for David Guetta's 'Light My Body Up' With On-Set Photo
- Watch Little Mix's Dreamy Cover of Rihanna's 'Love on the Brain'
- 'Walking Dead' Alum Steven Yeun and Wife Joana Pak Share First Photo of Their Newborn Baby