Garth Brooks Wins Back His $500K Donation From Oklahoma Hospital
Garth Brooks has won the lawsuit he filed against an Oklahoma hospital for the misusing of his donation. On Tuesday, January 24, a jury ruled that Integris Canadian Valley Regional Hospital was guilty of fraud and breach of contract, and thus has to pay the "Friends in Low Places" singer $1 million.
The Associated Press reported that Integris was ordered to return the $500,000 Brooks donated in 2005 in honor of his mother, Coleen Brooks, who died of cancer in 1999. The hospital located in Yukon, Oklahoma also has to pay the country singer husband of Trisha Yearwood an additional $500,000 in punitive damages.
In response to the Tuesday ruling, Integris spokesman Hardy Watkins said, "Obviously we are disappointed, particularly with the jury's decision to award damages above and beyond the $500,000." The representative, however, also noted, "We're just glad to see the case come to a resolution."
Brooks launched the breach-of-contract lawsuit against Integris after learning that the hospital wanted to use the money he donated to create a building named after his late mother for other construction projects. In its defense, Integris claimed the donation from the singer was "anonymous and unconditional."
When testifying last Tuesday, January 17, Brooks claimed that he thought he'd reached a solid agreement with the hospital's president, James Moore, in 2005. He tearfully told jurors, "I jumped all over it. It's my mom. My mom was pregnant as a teenager. She had a rough start. She wanted to help every kid out there."
Brooks' lawyer John Hickey later told the jurors during the closing arguments, "This case is about promises: promises made and promises broken." He further stressed, "Mr. Brooks kept his promise. Integris never intended to keep their promise and never built a new women's center."
- Charlize Theron Gets Called Out for Letting Her Son Dress Like Elsa of 'Frozen'
- Ariana Grande and Mac Miller Get Inked Together. Do They Have Matching Tattoos Now?
- Carpool Karaoke: Britney Spears Recreates 'Baby One More Time' Video, Says She'll Never Marry Again
- Mackenzie Davis on Domino Casting Rumor for 'Deadpool 2': 'I Wish I Did!'
- Emily Ratajkowski Goes Totally Naked in Hot Tub During Vacation in Greece
- Kylie Jenner Offers Fan Feeling Her Boobs to Prove They're Real
- Britney Spears, Elton John, Calvin Harris to Headline 10th Apple Music Festival in London
- Rob Kardashian Criticizes His Family for Not 'Welcoming' of His Relationship With Blac Chyna