2012 Oscars Nomination Put Nine Movies in Best Picture Race
As expected, "The Artist" is one of the biggest nominees at this year's Academy Awards, but it is not the one with the biggest chance to win. Martin Scorsese's "Hugo" beats the number of nominations pocketed by the silent movie by one. The 3D children fantasy led this year's Oscar race with 11 nominations, including Best Picture.
Best Pictures nominees beside "The Artist" and "Hugo" are "The Descendants", "The Help", "Moneyball", "Midnight in Paris", "The Tree of Life", "War Horse" and "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". The recent changes in the rules for Best Picture ballots enable nine movies to qualify for the category, because they garner first-place votes.
In the Best Lead Actor category, George Clooney ("The Descendants") will battle it out with off-screen buddy Brad Pitt ("Moneyball"), Demian Bichir ("A Better Life"), Gary Oldman ("Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"), and Jean Dujardin ("The Artist"). Best Lead Actress sees Rooney Mara battling heavyweights such as Meryl Streep and Glenn Close in her first Oscar nomination for "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo".
Partial list of 2012 Oscars is below while the full one can be found on Oscar.go.com.
Best Picture :
- "The Artist" Thomas Langmann, Producer
- "The Descendants" Jim Burke, Alexander Payne and Jim Taylor, Producers
- "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close" Scott Rudin, Producer
- "The Help" Brunson Green, Chris Columbus and Michael Barnathan, Producers
- "Hugo" Graham King and Martin Scorsese, Producers
- "Midnight in Paris" Letty Aronson and Stephen Tenenbaum, Producers
- "Moneyball" Michael De Luca, Rachael Horovitz and Brad Pitt, Producers
- "The Tree of Life" Nominees to be determined
- "War Horse" Steven Spielberg and Kathleen Kennedy, Producers
- Demian Bichir in "A Better Life"
- George Clooney in "The Descendants"
- Jean Dujardin in "The Artist"
- Gary Oldman in "Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy"
- Brad Pitt in "Moneyball"
- Kenneth Branagh in "My Week with Marilyn"
- Jonah Hill in "Moneyball"
- Nick Nolte in "Warrior"
- Christopher Plummer in "Beginners"
- Max von Sydow in "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close"
- Glenn Close in "Albert Nobbs"
- Viola Davis in "The Help"
- Rooney Mara in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"
- Meryl Streep in "The Iron Lady"
- Michelle Williams in "My Week with Marilyn"
- Berenice Bejo in "The Artist"
- Jessica Chastain in "The Help"
- Melissa McCarthy in "Bridesmaids"
- Janet McTeer in "Albert Nobbs"
- Octavia Spencer in "The Help"
- "A Cat in Paris" Alain Gagnol and Jean-Loup Felicioli
- "Chico & Rita" Fernando Trueba and Javier Mariscal
- "Kung Fu Panda 2" Jennifer Yuh Nelson
- "Puss in Boots" Chris Miller
- "Rango" Gore Verbinski
- "The Artist" Michel Hazanavicius
- "The Descendants" Alexander Payne
- "Hugo" Martin Scorsese
- "Midnight in Paris" Woody Allen
- "The Tree of Life" Terrence Malick
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival