'The Artist' and 'A Separation' Are Biggest Winners at 2012 London Critics Circle Awards
The winners of the 2012 London Critics Circle Awards have been revealed on Thursday evening, January 19. "The Artist" and "A Separation" have showed up as the biggest winners at the prestigious British awards show by grabbing three kudos each.
The acclaimed French silent drama collected the coveted Film of the Year award, as well as Director of the Year for Michel Hazanavicius, and Actor of the Year for Jean Dujardin. The Iranian drama, meanwhile, won the prizes for Foreign Language Film of the Year, Screenwriter of the Year for Asghar Farhadi, and Supporting Actress of the Year for Sareh Bayat.
Anna Paquin and Meryl Streep were in tie for the Actress of the Year award thanks to their role in "Margaret" and "The Iron Lady" respectively. Kenneth Branagh was named the Supporting Actor of the Year for his role in "My Week with Marilyn", while Michael Fassbender was honored with the British Actor of the Year for his performances in both "Shame" and "A Dangerous Method".
Along with the award winners, London Critics Circle announced their choices of the Top 10 Films of 2012 with "The Artist" topping the list. Nicolas Winding Refn's "Drive", Terrence Malick's "The Tree of Life", and Alexander Payne's "The Descendants" were also included on the top 10 picks.
2012 London Critics Circle Awards winners:
- Film of the Year: "The Artist"
- The Attenborough Award - British Film of the Year: "We Need to Talk About Kevin"
- Foreign Language Film of the Year: "A Separation"
- Documentary of the Year: "Senna"
- Director of the Year: Michel Hazanavicius - "The Artist"
- Screenwriter of the Year: Asghar Farhadi - "A Separation"
- The Virgin Atlantic Award: Breakthrough Britich Filmmaker: Andrew Haigh - "Weekend"
- Actor of the Year: Jean Dujardin - "The Artist"
- Actress of the Year: (Tied) Anna Paquin - "Margaret" and Meryl Streep - "The Iron Lady"
- Supporting Actor of the Year: Kenneth Branagh - "My Week With Marilyn"
- Supporting Actress of the Year: Sareh Bayat - "A Separation"
- British Actor of the Year: Michael Fassbender - "A Dangerous Method", "Shame"
- The Moet & Chandon Award - British Actress of the Year: Olivia Colman - "The Iron Lady", "Tyrannosaur"
- Young British Performer of the Year: Craig Roberts - "Submarine"
- The Sky 3D Award - Technical Achievement: Maria Djurkovic, production design - "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
- The Dilys Powell Award - Excelence in Film: Nicolas Roeg
- "The Artist"
- "A Separation"
- "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy"
- "The Tree of Life"
- "We Need to Talk About Kevin"
- "The Descendants"
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?
- Leonardo DiCaprio to Play the Man Who Invented Rock and Roll in Sam Phillips Biopic
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie to Sell Their Chateau Miraval in France Amid Divorce
- Director Tim Miller Leaves 'Deadpool 2' Due to Creative Differences