Adele Holds Strong at No. 1, Matches 'Titanic' 16th Week Reign on Hot 200
Adele extends her reign on Billboard Hot 200 for another week, marking her 16th non-consecutive week sitting at the throne of the U.S. album chart. The British singer easily secures the first position by shifting another 104,000 copies of her album "21".
Though the sale number is down 16% compared to that of last week, it helps Adele score a precedented feat. She becomes an artist who has an album that spends the most weeks at No. 1 on the weekly rundown since "Titanic" soundtrack album, which boasted Celine Dion's "My Heart Will Go On", in 1998.
With one more week on the top spot, Adele will tie with Garth Brooks and Billy Ray Cyrus as artists who spent 17 weeks at No. 1 with one album alone. Brooks and Cyrus did so with "Ropin' the Wind" (1991-1992) and "Some Gave All" (1992) respectively.
The champion for the longest reign on Hot 200 still belongs to Whitney Houston. The New Jersey singer has held the record to herself for nearly 20 years, thanks to "The Bodyguard" soundtrack album which clocked a 20-week domination on the chart.
On the chart itself, after lacking of new entries for at least two weeks, there are finally two new album releases which manage to enter the top 5 this week. David Crowder Band's "Give Us Rest" enters at No. 2 with 51,000, and Snow Patrol's "Fallen Empires" lands at No. 5 with 31,000 copies.
The two vacant spots on the top 5 are filled by The Black Keys and Drake. The former stay put at the third place by selling more than 36,000 copies of their album "El Camino", while the latter falls from No. 2 to No. 4 with 32,000 copies of "Take Care".
Billboard Hot 200:
- "21" - Adele (104,000)
- "Give Us Rest" - David Crowder Band (51,000)
- "El Camino" - The Black Keys (36,000)
- "Take Care" - Drake (32,000)
- "Fallen Empires" - Snow Patrol (31,000)
- "Thug Motivation 103: Hustlerz Ambition" - Young Jeezy (24,000)
- "Talk That Talk" - Rihanna (22,000)
- "Mylo Xyloto" - Coldplay (20,000)
- "Here and Now" - Nickelback (19,000)
- "Now 40" Compilation - Various Artist (17,000)
More Adele News
- Anne Hathaway's Dress at 'Colossal' Premiere Is So Awkward She Couldn't Sit in It
- Jeremy Renner's Hawkeye May Appear in 'Ant-Man and the Wasp'
- Blac Chyna Believes That Rob Kardashian and Tyga Are Tag Teaming Against Her
- Saucy! Rita Ora Goes Braless as She Flashes Her Nipple Pasties in Sheer Top
- Little Mix Channels Inner Cowgirls in Music Video for 'No More Sad Songs' Ft. Machine Gun Kelly
- A Party Fit for Mother Monster! Get Details of Lady GaGa's Star-Studded Birthday Bash
- Jennifer Lawrence and Darren Aronofsky Are Getting More Serious, Despite Their 22-Year Age Gap
- Listen to Selena Gomez's Moody 'Only You' Cover for '13 Reasons Why'