Madonna Brands Lady GaGa's 'Born This Way' 'Reductive'
Though repeatedly praising Lady GaGa as a talented artist, Madonna didn't seem to be impressed with the Mother Monster when it comes to "Born This Way" which bears resemblance to her own song "Express Yourself". After calling the self-acceptance anthem an "interesting" redo, Madge branded it "reductive."
The "Like a Prayer" hitmaker shared her thoughts when doing an interview with Cynthia McFadden on ABC's "20/20". She said, "When I heard it on the radio. I said, 'that sounds very familiar'." Asked if it annoyed her, the singer responded, "It felt reductive." When pressed further about whether it's a bad or good thing, she coyly said, "Look it up."
Aside from "Born This Way", Madge also saw a lot of her work in GaGa's, "I certainly think she references me a lot in her work. And sometimes I think it's amusing and flattering and well-done." She added, "There's a lot of ways to look at it. I can't really be annoyed by it...because obviously, I've influenced her."
Regardless, the Material Girl praised the Mother Monster. "When I first saw her, I saw her performing at a very small club in Manhattan a couple of years ago, maybe it was like three years ago," she said. "I was actually really impressed by her. I thought she was really cool and she did remind me of me back in the day."
She continued to gush over the outlandish singer, "I liked her rawness and there was something fresh about there and ballsy, and when she spoke to the audience, she sounded like she had a similar sense of humor to me, quite ironic, and I liked her. So I do think she is very talented."
More Madonna News
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March