Joss Whedon: 'The Avengers' Will Be Told From Captain America's Perspective
While "The Avengers" has been promoted as a superhero ensemble movie, it is likely the film will mainly focus on one character. Director Joss Whedon has revealed to Entertainment Weekly that most of the story in the upcoming comic book movie will stand on Steve Rogers a.k.a Captain America's perspective.
"So much of ['The Avengers'] story takes place from Steve Rogers' perspective, since he's the guy who just woke up and sees this weird-a** world," Whedon said of the Good Ol' Captain who's transported to the present day in "Captain America: The First Avenger". "Everyone else has been living in it. He's the guy that feels that sense of loss."
Whedon added, "['The Avengers'] is very much about people who are alone, because I'm writing it. [Captain America] is kind of the ultimate loner in that way. There is an anachronism to him, and Chris [Evans] and I have always tried to, without making it goofy or too obvious, make him that sam grounded '40s Steve Rogers he was in the other movie."
Though Captain America will likely have more portions in the movie, Whedon insisted that it doesn't mean he is the main character. The 47-year-old director promised that other fan-favorite superheroes; Thor, Iron Man, Hulk, Black Widow, Hawkeye and Nick Fury, will carry about equal share of the movie.
"You get them in a world, the world of S.H.I.E.L.D., where they fit in," said Whedon. "And you say upfront these are monsters. These are freaks. These are not you and me, and what are they doing here? How are they human beings? Let's just investigate that."
Due to arrive in the U.S. theaters on May 4, "The Avengers" will bring back Chris Evans, Chris Hemsworth and Robert Downey Jr. as Captain America, Thor and Iron Man respectively. Tom Hiddleston, Jeremy Renner, Scarlett Johansson and Samuel L. Jackson will also support the much awaited movie.
- Tarek El Moussa Addresses Rumors He Called Estranged Wife Christina a 'Whore'
- George Clooney Writes Touching Tribute to Cousin and 'NCIS: LA' Star Miguel Ferrer Who Dies at 61
- Little Mix Releases Sexy and Colorful Music Video for 'Touch'
- ABC Is Considering 'Black-ish' Spin-Off Starring Yara Shahidi
- Anne Hathaway to Join Rebel Wilson in 'Nasty Women'
- Everyone Loves Chrissy Teigen for Showing Off Her Stretch Marks in New Photo
- Mandy Moore Is Eager to Have Kids 'Sooner Than Later.' Ready to Start a Family?
- Ed Sheeran Wants to Collaborate With Beyonce, Plans Tour in March