The Academy Award Ceremony Might Be Moved Outside Hollywood
Having been held at the Kodak Theatre since 2001, the annual Academy Award ceremony might move to a new venue outside Hollywood after 2013. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the Academy of Motion Pictures Arts and Sciences has been considering to move the Oscar show to Nokia Theatre in downtown Los Angeles.
It was reported that AEG, which operates the L.A. Live and 7,100-seat Nokia Theatre, has already been in discussion with the AMPAS about the issue. The new venue is said to offer bigger facilities than in Kodak. It has more seats, better infrastructure, greater promotional opportunities and other facilities for parties and press.
The idea about moving the prestigious annual event to downtown Los Angeles has sparked disagreements among several parties. Hollywood Chamber of Commerce CEO, Leron Gubler, told L.A. Times, "Obviously, we'd be very disappointed. The Kodak Theatre was designed for the academy but more than that, historically the academy is tied to Hollywood with the first Academy Awards held in Hollywood."
Gubler went on saying, "This, on top of the Academy's decision to move their museum out of Hollywood an onto Wilshire Boulevard would send a very negative message to the community." Meanwhile, a representative for City Councilman claimed, "The Academy Awards belong in Hollywood."
On the other hand, the producer of the 81st Academy Awards in 2009, Bill Condon, said that Kodak Theatre is technically still suitable to host the big event. He said, "It has a very intimate feel. Technically there is nothing wrong with it. The camera can go almost anywhere. And the backstage space is massive enough to hold everything needed to put on a television show. Plus there are endless dressing rooms."
This year's Academy Awards will be presented at the Kodak Theatre in Hollywood & Highland Center on Sunday, February 26. Hosted by veteran Oscar host Billy Crystal, the ceremony will be televised live by the ABC Television Network in more than 225 countries worldwide.
- Mila Kunis Gives Her Parents a Surprise Home Makeover
- 'The Flash' 3.20 Promo: Savitar Will Be Unmasked in 'I Know Who You Are'
- Victim's Relative Says Chris Soules Fatal Car Crash 'Was Just a Freak Accident'
- Tarek El Moussa and Christina Put Divorce on Hold to Focus on Their Show
- Kendra Wilkinson Is Slammed by Farrah Abraham on 'Marriage Boot Camp' Promo
- Caitlyn Jenner Claps Back at Kris Jenner Over Harsh Comment About Caitlyn's New Memoir
- HyunA Gets Slammed for Saying That Skin Exposure on Stage Should Be Justified
- Scott Gimple Teases Rick's Death in 'The Walking Dead' Season 8