Tom Hanks' Animated Series 'Electric City' to Stream on Yahoo
After starring in a bunch of films and making some small screen projects, Tom Hanks is currently working on a web series. His production company Playtone has teamed up with Reliance Entertainment to produce "Electric City" which will stream on Yahoo before heading to more traditional outlets.
The 90-minute animated sci-fi series will be broadcast online in 20 segments, each of which is roughly four minutes long, starting this spring. The project marks the first original scripted program for Yahoo.
Hanks will lend his voice to the lead character of "Electric City" in addition to writing it. "It is animated and it has a science fiction bent and in that way, like all great science fiction, it definitely plays on what is the best type of society to live in and themes around energy usage, conservation and sustainability," Erin McPherson, Yahoo's vice president and head of video, says of the web series.
Yahoo's executive vice president of Americas, Ross Levinsohn, adds that they envision to make a franchise based on "Electric City". Sneak peek to the show is expected to be released during a 45-minute, invitation-only presentation Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
More Tom Hanks News
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease