Tom Hanks' Animated Series 'Electric City' to Stream on Yahoo
After starring in a bunch of films and making some small screen projects, Tom Hanks is currently working on a web series. His production company Playtone has teamed up with Reliance Entertainment to produce "Electric City" which will stream on Yahoo before heading to more traditional outlets.
The 90-minute animated sci-fi series will be broadcast online in 20 segments, each of which is roughly four minutes long, starting this spring. The project marks the first original scripted program for Yahoo.
Hanks will lend his voice to the lead character of "Electric City" in addition to writing it. "It is animated and it has a science fiction bent and in that way, like all great science fiction, it definitely plays on what is the best type of society to live in and themes around energy usage, conservation and sustainability," Erin McPherson, Yahoo's vice president and head of video, says of the web series.
Yahoo's executive vice president of Americas, Ross Levinsohn, adds that they envision to make a franchise based on "Electric City". Sneak peek to the show is expected to be released during a 45-minute, invitation-only presentation Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
More Tom Hanks News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered