Tom Hanks' Animated Series 'Electric City' to Stream on Yahoo
After starring in a bunch of films and making some small screen projects, Tom Hanks is currently working on a web series. His production company Playtone has teamed up with Reliance Entertainment to produce "Electric City" which will stream on Yahoo before heading to more traditional outlets.
The 90-minute animated sci-fi series will be broadcast online in 20 segments, each of which is roughly four minutes long, starting this spring. The project marks the first original scripted program for Yahoo.
Hanks will lend his voice to the lead character of "Electric City" in addition to writing it. "It is animated and it has a science fiction bent and in that way, like all great science fiction, it definitely plays on what is the best type of society to live in and themes around energy usage, conservation and sustainability," Erin McPherson, Yahoo's vice president and head of video, says of the web series.
Yahoo's executive vice president of Americas, Ross Levinsohn, adds that they envision to make a franchise based on "Electric City". Sneak peek to the show is expected to be released during a 45-minute, invitation-only presentation Tuesday at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
More Tom Hanks News
- Two New Characters on 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 Revealed. Get the Details!
- Khloe Kardashian Tries to 'Move On and Focus on Herself' During Her 'Sad' 32nd Birthday
- Ansel Elgort Is in Talks to Star in 'Dungeons and Dragons' Reboot
- Did Britney Spears Delay Single to Include Sample of Justin Timberlake's 'Cry Me a River'?
- George Clooney Reportedly 'Refused' to Protect Wife Amal From 'Bloodthirsty Terrorists'
- Kylie Jenner Asks Tyga to Move Back Into Her House
- Rihanna Is Unhappy Kanye West Put Her in Bed With Donald Trump and George W. Bush in 'Famous' Video
- Iggy Azalea Gets Thanked for 'Ruining Hip-Hop.' See Her Reaction