Robert Downey Jr. Courted to Star in 'Pinocchio', Tim Burton Eyeing to Direct
After playing Sherlock Holmes, Robert Downey Jr. might portray another iconic character in his upcoming movie. The actor has been courted to star in Tim Burton's possible next film project, "Pinocchio (2013)", which is planned to be a live-action version. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the "Iron Man" actor is Burton's top pick to play Geppetto, the woodcarver who creates puppet Pinocchio which then turns to be a real boy.
Neither Downey Jr. nor Burton has sealed a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures, but Burton is strongly interested to helm the film and is currently in talks with the studio. On the other hand, Downey Jr. has reportedly expressed "serious interest" in the project, but his tight schedule might be a barrier.
Warners hopes that both Downey Jr. and Burton would sign on to the project soon so that it could be fast-tracked. It is said that if Burton, who also plans an adaptation of "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" at 20th Century Fox, chooses to make another movie before "Pinocchio", Warners might move offer the project to other directors.
The original "Pinocchio" story was written by Italian children book author Carlo Collodi in 1883. The story has been adapted several times, including the 1940 Walt Disney Pictures' classic animation. The upcoming live-action version, meanwhile, centers on Geppetto as he embarks on a journey to reunite with his missing puppet.
Aside from this potential Tim Burton project, Warners develops another "Pinocchio" movie which is designed as a stop-motion version. This upcoming film is written by Guillermo Del Toro, Matthew Robbins and Gris Grimly, who will also serve behind the lens along with Adam Parrish King.
- 'KUWTK' Returns for Another Season as 'Life of Kylie' Ends Up Being a Flop
- 'Downtown Abbey' Movie Is in the Works
- Rob Kardashian Is Lawyering Up Against Blac Chyna
- Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron Are Feuding Over 'Bride of Frankenstein' Role
- Nick Jonas to Embrace 'Positivity' in His New Album
- 'Glee' Star Charice Pempengco Changes Name to Jake Zyrus. Is She Transitioning?
- Girls Lined Up to Give Tom Cruise Blow Job on Set of 'Risky Business', Co-Star Reveals
- Courtney Stodden Strips Down to Tiny Underwear to Perform Striptease