Robert Downey Jr. Courted to Star in 'Pinocchio', Tim Burton Eyeing to Direct
After playing Sherlock Holmes, Robert Downey Jr. might portray another iconic character in his upcoming movie. The actor has been courted to star in Tim Burton's possible next film project, "Pinocchio (2013)", which is planned to be a live-action version. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the "Iron Man" actor is Burton's top pick to play Geppetto, the woodcarver who creates puppet Pinocchio which then turns to be a real boy.
Neither Downey Jr. nor Burton has sealed a deal with Warner Bros. Pictures, but Burton is strongly interested to helm the film and is currently in talks with the studio. On the other hand, Downey Jr. has reportedly expressed "serious interest" in the project, but his tight schedule might be a barrier.
Warners hopes that both Downey Jr. and Burton would sign on to the project soon so that it could be fast-tracked. It is said that if Burton, who also plans an adaptation of "Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children" at 20th Century Fox, chooses to make another movie before "Pinocchio", Warners might move offer the project to other directors.
The original "Pinocchio" story was written by Italian children book author Carlo Collodi in 1883. The story has been adapted several times, including the 1940 Walt Disney Pictures' classic animation. The upcoming live-action version, meanwhile, centers on Geppetto as he embarks on a journey to reunite with his missing puppet.
Aside from this potential Tim Burton project, Warners develops another "Pinocchio" movie which is designed as a stop-motion version. This upcoming film is written by Guillermo Del Toro, Matthew Robbins and Gris Grimly, who will also serve behind the lens along with Adam Parrish King.
- Usher Releases Two New Tracks Off 'Hard II Love'
- Rihanna Gets the Biggest Gift Ever From Drake in Honor of Her VMAs Win
- First Look at Lumiere, Cogsworth, Gaston and Le Fou in 'Beauty and the Beast'
- Julianne Hough and Derek Hough to Return for 'DWTS' Season 23
- Sam Mendes in Talks to Direct Disney's 'James and the Giant Peach'
- 'Veep' Star Anna Chlumsky Gives Birth to Her Second Child
- Producer Defends Frank Ocean for Self-Releasing 'Blonde' Album, Slams Def Jam
- Kanye West and Kim Kardashian Give Paparazzi Free Yeezy Sneakers