New 'Point Break' Won't Be a Literal Remake of the Original, Producer Promises
What fans should expect from the remake of Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 action-thriller "Point Break"? Alcon Entertainment producer Andrew Kosove recently sat down with The Playlist and opened up about plans for the new version, revealing that it won't just be "a literal remake of the original the way 'Footloose' was."
Asked whether surfing may be replaced by "extreme sports" in the remake, Kosove responded, "It was identical to the original film." He went on to dish, "[Our 'Point Break'] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story."
On the reason why the filmmakers are determined to add extreme sports, the producer explained, "This is the thing - surfing is a part of it, but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we've got to make it fresh."
Kosove also revealed that they have already agreed on who they want as a director. "We're out to a director now, so if it were to go in that direction, it'd be a big announcement," he said. "We have someone who we think is the perfect filmmaker. I'd be very surprised if we weren't in pre-production in 2012."
Back in September, it was announced that Alcon Entertainment is fast tracking "Point Break" remake after the company secured the rights for the project. The project has locked "Salt" scribe Kurt Wimmer to pen the screenplay, and will be set in "the world of international extreme sports", with an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring.
- Bella Hadid Flaunts Ample Cleavage in Racy Bikini. See the Pic!
- Kim Kardashian and Kanye West Cradle Chrissy Teigen and John Legend's Baby During Brunch
- Jeff Bridges Joins 'Kingsman: The Golden Circle'
- Demi Lovato Mourning Her Great-Grandma's Death. Read Her Touching Tribute
- Rob Kardashian and Blac Chyna Party in Las Vegas, Talk About Wedding Plans
- Stephen Amell and Will Arnett Joke About Making an 'Arrow' Feature Film
- Liam Hemsworth Admits His 2013 Split From Miley Cyrus 'Was Hard'
- Madonna Throws Shade at BET for Diss Over Her BBMA Tribute to Prince