New 'Point Break' Won't Be a Literal Remake of the Original, Producer Promises
What fans should expect from the remake of Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 action-thriller "Point Break"? Alcon Entertainment producer Andrew Kosove recently sat down with The Playlist and opened up about plans for the new version, revealing that it won't just be "a literal remake of the original the way 'Footloose' was."
Asked whether surfing may be replaced by "extreme sports" in the remake, Kosove responded, "It was identical to the original film." He went on to dish, "[Our 'Point Break'] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story."
On the reason why the filmmakers are determined to add extreme sports, the producer explained, "This is the thing - surfing is a part of it, but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we've got to make it fresh."
Kosove also revealed that they have already agreed on who they want as a director. "We're out to a director now, so if it were to go in that direction, it'd be a big announcement," he said. "We have someone who we think is the perfect filmmaker. I'd be very surprised if we weren't in pre-production in 2012."
Back in September, it was announced that Alcon Entertainment is fast tracking "Point Break" remake after the company secured the rights for the project. The project has locked "Salt" scribe Kurt Wimmer to pen the screenplay, and will be set in "the world of international extreme sports", with an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring.
- The Flash Reunites With Jay Garrick, Teams Up With Tom Felton's Character in Season 3 Photos
- 'Doctor Strange' IMAX Trailer Unveils Avengers Ties. Also Get Details About Rachel McAdams' Role
- Donald Trump on Former Miss Universe Alicia Machado He Once Called 'Miss Piggy': She's 'the Worst'
- Amy Schumer Is First Woman to Make Forbes' List of Highest-Paid Comedians
- Justin Bieber Blows Snots on Concertgoers After Telling Fans They 'Suck'
- Denzel Washington and Viola Davis Argue Over Their Hard Lives in 'Fences' Teaser Trailer
- Netflix Debuts First Trailer for Its Ambitious Royal Drama 'The Crown'
- Did Gigi Hadid Throw Shade at Harry Styles With This Photo of Zayn Malik?