New 'Point Break' Won't Be a Literal Remake of the Original, Producer Promises
What fans should expect from the remake of Kathryn Bigelow's 1991 action-thriller "Point Break"? Alcon Entertainment producer Andrew Kosove recently sat down with The Playlist and opened up about plans for the new version, revealing that it won't just be "a literal remake of the original the way 'Footloose' was."
Asked whether surfing may be replaced by "extreme sports" in the remake, Kosove responded, "It was identical to the original film." He went on to dish, "[Our 'Point Break'] has got elements of the original and it's not just surfing, it's other kinds of extreme sports, but surfing is very, very prominent in the story."
On the reason why the filmmakers are determined to add extreme sports, the producer explained, "This is the thing - surfing is a part of it, but I will tell you that we believe firmly, in terms of remaking a film like this, we've got to make it fresh."
Kosove also revealed that they have already agreed on who they want as a director. "We're out to a director now, so if it were to go in that direction, it'd be a big announcement," he said. "We have someone who we think is the perfect filmmaker. I'd be very surprised if we weren't in pre-production in 2012."
Back in September, it was announced that Alcon Entertainment is fast tracking "Point Break" remake after the company secured the rights for the project. The project has locked "Salt" scribe Kurt Wimmer to pen the screenplay, and will be set in "the world of international extreme sports", with an undercover FBI agent infiltrating a criminal ring.
- Despite Chipped Tooth and Skin Rash, Kim Kardashian Has Lots of Fun at Las Vegas Party
- Comic-Con: Brie Larson Officially Named Captain Marvel
- Comic-Con: 'The Vampire Diaries' Announced to End With Season 8. How Fans React?
- After Breaking Down on Stage, Selena Gomez Posts Cryptic Message on Instagram
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers