Clark Gregg Discusses Agent Phil Coulson's Role in 'The Avengers'
Having filled the shoes of Agent Phil Coulson in several Marvel movies before, Clark Gregg is reprising the role in "The Avengers" and this time, he'll get a much larger part. In an interview with SFX Magazine, the "Iron Man 2" actor expressed his thought on the matter and described what he got to do this time.
"I had to pinch myself because I'm not that jaded," admitted the 49-year-old actor. "I got to show up and put on the Coulson suit and I've got enough lines that I have a trailer, plus I get to do this amazing script by [director] Joss Whedon. I don't know how I got to be a part of it, I just feel very lucky about it."
Speaking of his part, the husband of actress Jennifer Grey said, "When you look at the team it's made out of rock stars, divas, and giant muscles with superpowers so somebody has the job backstage at Lollapalooza to make them all play in the same concert and super band - and that's what Agent Coulson does."
During the chat, Gregg also shared what crossed his mind when seeing The Avengers come together on the set. "It's a little hard to believe, coming from a supporting role that they kept beefing up and adding to new movies, that I would actually walk into that room I walked into and see that collection of people in their various versions or incredibly worked up neoprene," he gushed.
"When I walked in the first thing I did was go, 'Oh my god! Look at all these actors in costumes!' But then you look at them a little closer and you go, 'I just walked into a room with Captain America, Tony Stark...oh my god!' And then you go, 'That's Jeremy Renner and Robert Downey Jr.!' Then all of a sudden Sam [Jackson] comes in and gives me a look and I'm like, 'There's some big problems we've got to take care of so let's go do it!' "
To open wide in the U.S. on May 4, 2012, "The Avengers" follows the Earth's Mightiest Heroes to fight the biggest foes no single hero could withstand. Assembled by S.H.I.E.L.D. director Nick Fury, they have to work together to pull the world back from the brink of disaster when an unexpected enemy that threatens global safety and security emerges.
This superhero movie will see Downey Jr. return as Iron Man, Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury, Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow and Tom Hiddleston as villainous Loki. Joining them in the cast ensemble are Renner (Hawkeye) and Mark Ruffalo (The Hulk) among others.
- Wait... What? Is Tiger Woods Saying He Doesn't Regret Cheating on Elin Nordegren?
- Marvel Pulls 'Invincible Iron Man' Cover After Accusations of 'Sexualizing' Its Underage Hero
- No More Sexy Selfies? Kim Kardashian Is Re-Emerging 'More Covered Up' and 'Less Make-Up'
- Drake Hints at Releasing New Music on His 30th Birthday. Get Details on His Celebration
- Blac Chyna Pokes Fun at Her Pregnancy Curves, Compares Herself to a Pokemon
- Amy Adams and Jake Gyllenhaal's Love Turns to Hatred in 'Nocturnal Animals' First Full Trailer
- Jay-Z and Beyonce Are Both Upset With 'Nut Job' Kanye West Following His Rant
- Justin Bieber Scolds Concertgoers for Screaming at Manchester Show