Ewan McGregor Forced to Scrap Plans for Directorial Debut
Ewan McGregor is facing a setback in his attempt to add director to his resume. The actor playing Camerlengo Patrick McKenna in "Angels & Demons" has been forced to ditch a film project, which he's set to make a directorial debut, after finding out recently that another company already puts it in production.
In an interview with Nylon Guys, the 40-year-old actor revealed that he was actually setting the movie about a 1968 yacht race to be his joint project with wife of 16 years, production designer Eve Mavrakis. "My wife was going to design it, I wasn't going to be in it," he explained. "And then I found out someone else is doing it. I was gutted."
Despite the disappointment, the "Salmon Fishing in the Yemen" star isn't giving up his hope in making a transition from acting to directing. "I think it would be so fascinating and satisfying," he told the magazine, "but I don't pretend... I would be starting right at the bottom."
Back in June, Ewan opened up why he would love to get a chance at directing. In an interview with the Santa Monica Mirror, he admitted, "I've been slightly nervous about it because it's such a big idea. I also never wanted to do it just to be a director but rather to do it because I want to tell a particular story and I'm still waiting for that story to find me."
On a lighter note, the "Moulin Rouge!" actor joked, "The real reason I would like to direct is so that I can turn up at work and not take off my clothes. It seems like every day I turn up for work I have to take off my clothes and put on someone else's clothes so it would be quite nice to just wear my own clothes all day."
- Viola Davis to Lead All-Female Heist Movie From '12 Years a Slave' Director Steve McQueen
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel