Adele Pulls Biggest Sales in a Year Since Usher's 2004 'Confessions'
Although 2011 is yet to pull down its curtain, Adele has been predicted by many to have the biggest-selling album of the year due to the steady sales of her second studio album "21". With the new year fast approaching, it's revealed that the CD, which came out last January, has sold a staggering total of 5.28 million copies in the United States alone.
Beside cementing her position as the frontrunner of the best seller, the huge number also makes the British popstar the first musician to ever pass the 5 million mark in a year of sales since Usher did so seven years ago. Back in 2004, the R&B performer sold a grand total of 7.9 million copies with his fourth studio album "Confessions".
Last year, Eminem closed the year in music by moving 3.4 million copies with "Recovery". Prior to the Slim Shady, Taylor Swift took the top spot in the year-end album chart by selling 3.2 million of "Fearless". The first time an album got the best-seller title under the 3 million mark was in 2008 when Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" sold 2.9 million units.
With one week left, Adele's position as the strong contender of this year's best seller is followed by Lady GaGa and Michael Buble. The Mother Monster has so far sold 2.03 million of "Born This Way", while the pop/jazz crooner has garnered 1.96 million of "Christmas". Judging from the strong sales of the latter, there is a big chance that the two would swap places by the end of the year.
More Adele News
- Find Out How Jaden Smith Tricked His Dad Will Smith Into Letting Him Drink on His Birthday
- Jean-Claude Van Damme Walks Out of TV Interview After Reporter Asks This Question
- Matt Damon Will Take a Break From Acting Next Year
- Kanye West Launches Twitter Rants About Apple and Tidal Beef
- Tyler Posey Clarifies 'I Am Gay' Snapchat Video, Apologizes for Fake Coming Out
- Nick Jonas Offered $2 Million to Perform at RNC
- Director Paul Feig Slams Sony for Deleting 'Ghostbusters' Pro-Hillary Tweet
- 'Game of Thrones' Set to End With Season 8, Spin-Off Plan Confirmed