Adele Pulls Biggest Sales in a Year Since Usher's 2004 'Confessions'
Although 2011 is yet to pull down its curtain, Adele has been predicted by many to have the biggest-selling album of the year due to the steady sales of her second studio album "21". With the new year fast approaching, it's revealed that the CD, which came out last January, has sold a staggering total of 5.28 million copies in the United States alone.
Beside cementing her position as the frontrunner of the best seller, the huge number also makes the British popstar the first musician to ever pass the 5 million mark in a year of sales since Usher did so seven years ago. Back in 2004, the R&B performer sold a grand total of 7.9 million copies with his fourth studio album "Confessions".
Last year, Eminem closed the year in music by moving 3.4 million copies with "Recovery". Prior to the Slim Shady, Taylor Swift took the top spot in the year-end album chart by selling 3.2 million of "Fearless". The first time an album got the best-seller title under the 3 million mark was in 2008 when Lil Wayne's "Tha Carter III" sold 2.9 million units.
With one week left, Adele's position as the strong contender of this year's best seller is followed by Lady GaGa and Michael Buble. The Mother Monster has so far sold 2.03 million of "Born This Way", while the pop/jazz crooner has garnered 1.96 million of "Christmas". Judging from the strong sales of the latter, there is a big chance that the two would swap places by the end of the year.
More Adele News
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Speculations After Seen Shopping Together in NYC
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski