Disney Channel Pulls 'Shake It Up' Episodes After Demi Lovato's Protests
Demi Lovato blasted her former employer, Disney Channel, for including a joke about eating disorders on "Shake It Up". The actress who starred in the channel's "Sonny with a Chance" did not like the way they make light of the issue as a character on the show said, "I could just eat you up well, if I ate."
"I find it really funny how a company can lose one of their actress' from the pressures of an EATING DISORDER and yet still make joke about that very disease. #nice," Lovato tweeted on Friday, December 23. She added, "And is it just me or are the actress' [on Disney Channel] getting THINNER AND THINNER.... I miss the days of RAVEN, and LIZZIE MCGUIRE," referring to former Disney stars Raven Simone and Hilary Duff respectively.
She sent out her message, "Dear Disney Channel, EATING DISORDERS ARE NOT SOMETHING TO JOKE ABOUT." A few hours later Disney Channel responded to her Twitter rant by pulling two episodes of the show. "We hear you & are pulling both episodes as quickly as possible & reevaluating them," the network's PR account tweeted to Lovato. "It's NEVER our intention to make light of eating disorders!"
Lovato thanked Disney for taking such action, adding later, "Just clearing things up, I have nothing against any specific actress/actor or tv show.. Nor do I think there's anything wrong with girls who aren't curvy, I just was stating a fact that there needs to be more variety on television so young girls growing up don't feel pressured. to look one specific way. Tall, thin, curvy, short, whatever you are, you are beautiful. :)"
- Conspiracy Theorists Claim Elvis Presley Is Alive and Attended His 82nd Birthday
- Kim Kardashian 'Had a Secret Fling' With 'Celebrity Big Brother' Star Calum Best
- 'The Flash' Also Brings Back Rick Cosnett's Eddie Thawne, but How?
- Kylie Jenner Teases Her Secret Project in Seductive Instagram Photos
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 8 Could Have More Than Six Episodes
- Alec Baldwin, Mark Ruffalo and Michael Moore Stage a Star-Studded Anti-Trump Protest in NYC
- 'Good Behavior' Gets Season 2 Renewal
- Hailee Steinfeld Confirms Her Return for 'Pitch Perfect 3'