Joss Whedon Promises 'Avengers' 3D Conversion Won't Be 'Obnoxious'
Shortly after Walt Disney Pictures announced on Thursday, December 22 that "The Avengers" will be released in both 2D and 3D, Joss Whedon weighed in on the news. Speaking to Joblo, the director promised that the much awaited Marvel superhero movie "isn't obnoxiously 3D."
"There's no, 'Oh look, we're going to spend 20 minutes going through this tunnel because it's in 3D!' And no one is pointing at the screen the entire time," the filmmaker said. "But it's an action movie. Things tend to hurtle toward the screen anyway."
Whedon added that he was the one behind the idea of converting the comic-adapted movie into 3D. Explaining why he decided to do that, he said, "I'm not a big fan of extreme long lens, talky movies - I like to see the space I'm in and relate to it, so 3D kinda fits my esthetic anyway. And the technology has advanced so far in the past couple years."
"Avengers" will bring together the Earth's Mightiest Heroes from Marvel Comics to fight the biggest foes no single hero could withstand. The movie stars Chris Hemsworth as Thor, Chris Evans as Captain America, Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, Scarlett Johansson as Black Widow, Mark Ruffalo as The Hulk, Jeremy Renner as Hawkeye, and Tom Hiddleston as villainous Loki.
The conversion process will not affect the May 4, 2012 release date for "Avengers". This was not the first time Marvel gave a retouch for its superhero films. Previously, "Thor" and "Captain America: The First Avenger" were also given the 3D conversion.
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival