Editor Resigns After Rihanna Slams Her for Racial Slur
The power of Rihanna has cost an editor-in-chief her eight-year position in a Dutch magazine. The singer blasted an article inside popular magazine Jackie in which the writer described her as "Rihanna, the good girl gone bad, is the ultimate n**gab*tch and displays that gladly."
Pissed, Rihanna unloaded on Twitter, "I hope u can read english, because your magazine is a poor representation of the evolution of human rights! I find you disrespectful, and rather desperate!! You ran out of legit, civilized information to print! There are 1000's of Dutch girls who would love to be recognized for their contributions to your country, you could have given them an article. Instead, u paid to print one degrading an entire race!"
Eva Hoeke who approved the copy quickly apologized, "This should have never happened. Period. While the author meant no harm - the title of the article was intended as a joke - it was a bad joke, to say the least. And that slipped through my, the editor-in-chief’s, fingers. Stupid, painful and sucks for all concerned. The author has been addressed on it, and now I can only ensure that these terms will no longer end up in the magazine."
But the apology is further criticized because Hoeke compared the sensitive word to "a joke" and she appeared to be only half-apologizing. Hoeke admitted to being "taunted and threatened in various ways" after she issued her apology. Therefore, after a discussion with publisher Yves Gijrath, Hoeke decided to step down from her position.
"Through the course of events, me and the publisher have concluded that because my credibility is now affected, it is better for all parties if I quit my function as editor-in-chief effective immediately. After putting my heart and soul into for Jackie for eight years, I realize that these errors -- although not intended maliciously -- are enough reason for leaving," Hoeke said in a statement.
Rihanna has not responded again to the new circumstances but Jackie has invited her to weigh in on the matter in the next issue.
More Rihanna News
- Derek Hough and Tony Dovolani Not Returning for 'Dancing with the Stars' Season 24
- Colton Haynes to Make Live Singing Debut in Tribute Performance for George Michael
- 'Jurassic World 2' First Set Photo Arrives as Filming Begins
- Behati Prinsloo Wows on First Post-Baby Runway Show at Milan Fashion Week
- A Green Lantern Is Reportedly Confirmed in 'Justice League'
- New Photos Seem to Confirm Diane Kruger and Norman Reedus' Romance Rumors
- 'Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.': Is Nick Blood Returning in Season 4?
- Happy 'Twin Peaks' Day! Showtime Unveils Posters for Revival