Lea Michele and Justin Bieber Vying for Top Honors at PETA's 2011 Libby Awards
Lea Michele and Justin Bieber have collected numerous nominations and awards in their respective fields, but they recently got a chance to win an award of a different kind. The Rachel Berry of "Glee" and the "Baby" hitmaker are currently vying for the top honors at the 6th annual Libby Awards, which is sponsored by PETA's youth division, peta2.
Having stood up for carriage horses in New York City, 25-year-old Michele lands the nomination of Top Animal Friendly Celebrity. In the category, she is being put up against "Jackass" star Steve-O, "Victorious" star Daniella Monet and Cobra Starship's Gabe Saporta.
17-year-old Bieber, in the meantime, is on the run to win the title of Most Animal Friendly Pop/Hip-Hop Artist thanks to his pro-adoption campaign. He is set to face off against Ke$ha, who campaigned against the Canadian seal slaughter, and two other musicians, k-os and Waka Flocka Flame.
Both Michele and Bieber are only competing for one title, but Ke$ha and Tokio Hotel get two nominations each. In addition to the Pop/Hip-Hop Artist category, Ke$ha also fights for Best peta2 Ad, which also sees Tokio as one of its contenders. Tokio additionally are up for Most Animal Friendly Band.
Libbys, or Liberation Awards, is set up to honor people and products that are deemed animal-friendly by PETA. Of this year's nominees, peta2 Division Manager Marta Holmberg says, "Our nominees have all worked hard to shine their spotlights on a variety of important animal issues. As our accomplished stars demonstrate, compassion isn't just a virtue - it's also a road to success."
Fans can vote for their favorite animal-friendly stars at peta2.com until this Friday, December 23. The winners, who will be announced on January 17, 2012, will be chosen by peta2 based on equal consideration of three factors; the number of votes received, the quality of the animal-friendly product or the nominees' enthusiasm for being animal-friendly, and feedback from the nominees' fans.
Partial List of the 6th Annual Libby Awards:
Top Animal Friendly Celebrity:
- Lea Michele
- Gabe Saporta
- Daniella Monet
- Daniel Bryan
- Chase Utley
- Jake Shields
- Willis McGahee
More Lea Michele News
- Paris Jackson Wants to Save 'Reclusive' Aunt Janet Jackson Amid Split From Wissam Al Mana
- Is Gigi Hadid Taking Her Diet Too Far? Her Extreme Weight Loss Raises Concern
- Phoebe Tonkin and Paul Wesley Enjoy Intimate Dinner - Back On?
- 'World War Z 2' Will Likely Reunite David Fincher and Brad Pitt
- Kourtney Kardashian's Looking for 'More Loyal Soulmate' as She's 'So Over' Scott Disick
- Is Meghan Markle Planning to Get Pregnant Before Marrying Prince Harry?
- Hailee Steinfeld, Kelsea Ballerini and Sofia Carson to Perform Britney Spears Medley at RDMA 2017
- Nam Joo Hyuk's Fans Angered by His Relationship With Lee Sung Kyung