Gerard Buttler Not Seriously Injured After Surfing Accident on 'Of Men and Mavericks' Set
Gerard Butler had a nearly fatal surfing accident while filming his latest movie "Of Men and Mavericks". The 42-year-old actor was shooting a scene at Maverick's, the infamous Northern California surf spot south of San Francisco, on Sunday, December 18 when he was suddenly clobbered by a set of giant waves.
Frank Quirarte, who witnessed the incident, wrote in his ESPN Action Sports blog, "Butler was held down for a solid two waves and took four or five more on the head before being washed through the rocks on the inside, where he was finally able to be plucked out." He added that the actor "had that 100-yard stare that surfers get after a two-wave hold-down or near-death experience."
Butler was taken to Stanford Medical Center to get an observation, but was released later. A representative for the Scottish actor has since issued a statement about his condition via ET Online. "He's fine," assured the rep. "Very scary. They brought him to Stanford University. More scary than anything. For precaution, we all wanted him checked out after it all happened. Came out with flying colors."
"Of Men and Mavericks" centers on late surfer Jay Moriarty and his quest to ride the iconic Northern California break known as Mavericks. Moriarty trained for more than a year under mentor Frosty Hesson, and in the process the two formed a unique bond that ultimately transformed both their lives. He died in a free-diving accident in 2001 when he was only 23.
Butler takes the role of Frosty, and is joined in the cast ensemble by the likes of Elizabeth Shue, Abigail Spencer and Jonny Weston. Serving behind the lens for the drama is Curtis Hanson, while Brandon Hooper and Kario Salem pen the script for the sport drama that is due to arrive in theaters across the U.S. on October 26, 2012.
- Katherine Webb and NFL Star Husband AJ McCarron Welcome First Child
- George R. R. Martin Revealed Three Huge Twists to 'Game of Thrones' Producers. What Are They?
- Take a Look at Pink's Awkward Reaction When Her Celebrity Crush Johnny Depp Surprises Her
- Brad Pitt Saves Young Girl From Being Crushed by Excited Fans. See His Heroic Action!
- Katy Perry's New Album in the Works, Tour to Follow in 2017
- Justin Bieber Launches Another Bizarre Rant
- Sharon Osbourne Defends Kelly for Trashing Ozzy's Alleged Mistress, Can't Help Laughing at It
- Carrie Underwood and Brad Paisley Returning to Host 2016 CMA Awards