Lady GaGa Is Crowned AP's Entertainer of the Year
Having an eventful year in 2011, Lady GaGa continues to get recognition from music fans and critics alike as one of the musicians who stood out the most during the past twelve months. Due to her "influence on entertainment and culture in 2011," the Mother Monster is named Entertainer of the Year by members of The Associated Press.
"I am humbled and honored to be named 'Entertainer of the Year' by The Associated Press," she says. "My deepest gratitude to the broadcasters and journalists who've supported me over the years, and in turn, are now supporting the loves of my life: my fans. Thank you for believing in 'Born This Way'. May you continue to brave the dreams of Showbiz."
Indeed, 2011 was far from quiet for GaGa. The outspoken singer made a record-breaking first-week sales number with her album "Born This Way", continued traveling the globe for an extended leg of her extravagant "Monster Ball" tour, took home a bunch of coveted awards including three Grammy Awards, and pursued relentless advocacy of tolerance.
In short, GaGa took the title, which was given to Betty White a year ago, because she's everywhere including gracing the small screen with her own Thanksgiving TV special. Her "extravagant globe-trotting" journey throughout the year overshadowed Steve Jobs. From a total of 135 ballots submitted by U.S. news organizations that make up the AP's membership, she beat the late Apple founder by three votes.
The other public figures who received numerous votes from the AP members included Charlie Sheen, Adele and the cast of "Harry Potter" movie series. Taylor Swift, who grabbed the honor in 2009, also became one of the contenders this year. The other stars who received the honor in the past years included Tina Fey and Stephen Colbert.
More Lady GaGa News
- The Homeless Guy Accepting Miley Cyrus' Moonman at 2014 VMAs Is Selling the Trophy
- Beyonce's Daughter Blue Ivy Wears a $11,000 Dress to the VMAs Because of Course She Does
- 'Transformers: The Last Knight' Reportedly Eyes Liam Garrigan to Portray King Arthur
- No, It's Not Britney! Kourtney Kardashian Plays With Huge Snake in This Cringe-Inducing Picture
- Iggy Azalea and French Montana Are Pictured Kissing as a Source Confirms Their Relationship
- It's Official: 'Pretty Little Liars' to End With Season 7, 'Grimm' Canceled After 6 Seasons
- Red Band Trailer for 'Kevin Hart: What Now?' Sees Halle Berry as the Comedian's Bond Girl
- Watch Ariana Grande and Nicki Minaj Ooze Sexiness in 'Side to Side' Video