'Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' Sequels May Be Filmed Back-to-Back
"The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" hasn't been released in the U.S. just yet, but David Fincher already has plans for its sequels. During a press conference in New York on Saturday, December 17, the director revealed that he considers to shoot "The Girl Who Played with Fire" and "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" back-to-back.
"The second two books are very much one story and it doesn't seem prudent to me to go to Sweden for a year," said the 49-year-old filmmaker when explaining the reason why he plans to shot the follow-ups one after the other. "Come back for a year. Put out the second one. Go to Sweden for a year. Come back for a year."
The man behind "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" continued on, "I don't think Rooney [Mara] wants to be doing this four years from now. So I think that would be crazy especially given the sense that it's really one story that's kind of bifurcated in the middle."
Asked if he might plan to make "Dragon Tattoo" a franchise, the Colorado-born director carefully answered, "Do I want to see a sequel for this? I would be happy for everyone involved as that would mean a lot of people went to see it and enjoyed it. Do I need to see a sequel? No, there's a little bit of an emotional cliffhanger at the end, but the story is complete."
"I haven't given the second and third books near enough scrutiny to be able to comment on [them]," he elaborated his statement. "I've seen Steven [Zaillian]'s script for the second one and it's really good."
"Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" is based on the first book in Stieg Larsson's crime thriller trilogy "The Millenium Series". Having Rooney Mara and Daniel Craig as Lisbeth Salander and Mikael Blomkvist respectively, it is set to be released in theaters nationwide on December 20. Productions on its follow-ups might be kicked off in late 2012.
- Lady GaGa Is Obsessed With Barbra Streisand
- 'Katrina: American Crime Story' Taps Matthew Broderick to Play Michael D. Brown
- Lauren Graham and Dylan McDermott to Lead FOX's New Comedy Pilots
- Kanye West to Launch Makeup for Men
- Emma Watson Shines Like a Princess at 'Beauty and the Beast' Premiere in London
- Listen to Zedd and Alessia Cara's New Single 'Stay'
- Oops! Gigi Hadid Stumbles During Moschino Show at Milan Fashion Week
- Kris Jenner Is Ready to Fight for Full Custody of Rob's Daughter Dream