Michael Jackson's Belongings From Final Home Raise Nearly $1 Million
Michael Jackson's personal possessions from the house he lived with his three children just before his death in 2009 have gone under the auction hammer. On Saturday, December 17, Julien's Auctions gave collectors a chance to bid on the 524 items furnishing the Holmby Hills mansion, and by the end of it, the auction brought in an estimated total of nearly $1 million.
Among the highlights of the daylong auction were a kitchen chalkboard with a "I love daddy" note from all three of MJ's children, and an armoire which had a "Train, perfection March April Full out May" note from the late "Thriller" hitmaker to himself on the mirror. The chalkboard was sold for $5,000, while the armoire went for $25,750.
The auction, which was predicted to raise $200,000 to $400,000, also included furniture, artwork and other items. A small table, on which several bottles of sedatives were found, was sold for $5,000 and an oriental rug under the King of Pop's death bed collected $15,360, while an oil painting of fishing village by Adelsteen Normann brought in $46,875.
Julien's Auctions re-created the inside of MJ's final mansion in its showroom and invited fans to pay a tribute on the space where his bed would have been. Back in November, the company withdrew the antique Louis XV-style headboard attached to MJ's death bed from the auction at the request of the Jackson family.
The company said that they will deliver all of the tribute items to MJ's children, Prince, Paris and Blanket Jackson, and his mother, Katherine Jackson. Auction director Darren Julien told The Associated Press, "Michael Jackson has the greatest fans in the world. They came out every day this week to bring gifts. It's unlike anything we've ever seen as it relates to a celebrity and their fans."
More Michael Jackson News
- Awkward! Taylor Swift, Katy Perry and Ex John Mayer Attend Drake's Birthday Party
- Is Kendall Jenner Dating Anwar Hadid?
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'