Amy Winehouse to Be Honored at 2011 'VH1 Divas' Concert
The life and legacy of Amy Winehouse is going to be remembered at this year's "VH1 Divas" concert. One of the performers at the special tribute will be Florence Welch. The lead singer of Florence and the Machine is going to collaborate with Wanda Jackson to perform the late singer's hit single "Back to Black".
Reflecting Winehouse's "contribution to modern, London soul music," the segment will also feature Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings performing "You Know I'm No Good". The tribute medley will be introduced by Nas, who joined forces with the "Rehab" hitmaker on the first single of her current posthumous album.
This year, "VH1 Divas" will pay homage to the places like Chicago, Detroit, London, Memphis and Philadelphia. It will be headlined by Kelly Clarkson, Mary J. Blige, Jennifer Hudson, Jill Scott, Jessie J and Florence. They will do the special performances at New York City's Hammerstein Ballroom.
Aside from those headliners, the gig will also feature performances from special guests Chaka Khan, Erykah Badu, Estelle and Marsha Ambrosius. Already having enough of female acts for the annual event, VH1 adds some boys to the mix by choosing Boyz II Men and Gym Class Heroes' Travis McCoy as additional acts.
The performances to honor to big cities where soul music originated and ultimately flourished will be accompanied by The Roots as a house band. Their member Questlove will pull a double duty as a musical director. The special gig is set to air on Monday, December 19.
- Nick Jonas Gets Cozy With Bikini Hottie in Hawaii
- Brad Pitt Bails on Movie Screening to Focus on 'Family Situation' Amid Angelina Jolie Divorce
- 'The Strain' Renewed for Fourth and Final Season
- Justin Theroux Slams Media for Thrusting Jennifer Aniston Into Brangelina's Divorce
- Gigi Hadid on Fighting Off Her Attacker in Milan: 'I Felt I Was in Danger'
- Video Premiere: Hailee Steinfeld's 'Starving' Ft. Zedd
- Brody Jenner Throws Tantrum After Getting Kicked Off Hotel
- Justin Bieber and Beyonce Knowles Lead Nominations for 2016 MTV EMAs