Katy Perry Nabs MTV's Artist of the Year, Adele Scores Song of the Year
2011 is a year of girl domination in the music industry. From ruling year-end charts to breaking records, some female artists continue to leave their marks in the game. Two of the powerhouse ladies who own this year are Katy Perry and Adele for they top MTV's Artist of the Year and Song of the Year lists respectively.
27-year-old Katy, who is ranked third on Billboard's Top Artist of the Year and Forbes' Biggest-Earning Women in Music, comes out atop the MTV list for "riding high off the success of 2010's 'Teenage Dream' " which produces a record-breaking feat of five No. 1 singles and six top 5 tracks on Billboard Hot 100.
The popstar is additionally recognized for setting "the bar even higher by hitting the road on the California Dreams Tour." She sits at the 13th place on Billboard's 25 Top Tours of the Year by garnering $48 million from 98 shows. On top of that, she's credited for empowering her fans through her singles like "Fireworks" which earns her two Grammy nominations this year.
"To be Artist of the Year, a whole 365 days, that's pretty cool," she gushed about the honor. "I wasn't really allowed to watch MTV growing up, so this feels really validating, and I've had a fantastic year, a great tour and a great run, and you guys have been so a part of it and such a big reason why. So thank you so much. I really appreciate it."
Minaj follows Perry at No. 2 on the list. Much like the California singer who doesn't release a new album, the MC becomes one of the strong forces in music this year because she's everywhere. Busting the chart, grabbing coveted awards, and making guest appearances with heavyweight artists like Drake, Lil Wayne and Rihanna are some of the things that make her shine brighter.
Rounding up the top 3 is Adele for causing buzz throughout the year with her ground-breaking album "21" which is poised to become the biggest-selling album in the United States and in her native country. According to MTV, picking her as one of the ruling women in music is an easy decision because "from millennials to their mothers and maybe even their grandparents, could all agree that hers was the best."
Though finishing third on the Artist of the Year list, Adele is declared by MTV as an artist who has the best song of the year. The British pop sensation beats Minaj and Perry on the list through her No. 1 single "Rolling in the Deep", which lands her three Grammy nominations and is set to be the biggest-selling song of 2011.
"It's overwhelming how many people my life has resonated with. I find it quite hard to wrap my head around it," she stated. "I was pretty insistent it be a single. But I thought it would be more a tastemaker vibe than a hit. I loved the song the minute I wrote it. The melody and the beat added some conviction to it. I think that's why people have connected with it."
Next on the list, Minaj claims the runner-up place with her pop-infused single "Super Bass", while Perry has to settle at No. 10 with her inspiring single "Fireworks". The rest of the top 10 are filled by Rihanna, LMFAO, Lady GaGa, Pitbull, Foster the People, Chris Brown, and The Throne duo Kanye West & Jay-Z.
Best Artists of the Year:
- Katy Perry
- Nicki Minaj
- The Throne duo Kanye West & Jay-Z
- Lady GaGa
- Beyonce Knowles
- Lil Wayne
- Justin Bieber
- "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
- "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
- "We Found Love" - Rihanna
- "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO
- "Born This Way" - Lady GaGa
- "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull
- "Pumped Up the Kicks" - Foster the People
- "N****s in Paris" - The Throne duo Kanye West & Jay-Z
- "Look at Me Now" - Chris Brown
- "Fireworks" - Katy Perry
More Katy Perry News
- 'The Voice' Season 12 Sneak Peek: Watch 29-Year-Old J. Chosen Blow the Coaches' Mind
- Sinead O'Connor Apologizes for Saying Arsenio Hall Gave Prince Drugs
- See Lethal Charlize Theron in New 'Atomic Blonde' Poster
- Brooklyn Beckham Gets Dating Advice From Anais Gallagher
- Nicole Scherzinger Goes Underwear Free in Dazzling Dress at BRIT Awards After-Party
- 'This Is Us' to Bring Back Ron Cephas Jones in Season 2 After That Emotional Road Trip
- Gigi and Bella Hadid Go Vampy for Milan Fashion Week
- NBC's 'Taken' Opening Scene Reveals How Bryan Mills' Sister Is Murdered