'America's Got Talent' Signs Howard Stern, PTC Goes Berserk
"America's Got Talent" officially snags Howard Stern as the new judge to replace Piers Morgan who leaves it for his CNN talk show. Announced on Thursday, December 15 morning on his Sirius XM radio show, the news already meets protest from Parents TV Council (PTC).
"In an act of desperation by a flailing network, NBC has hired Howard Stern - a performer who is synonymous with shock, profanity and obscenity - as a judge on a prime-time talent competition," said PTC president Tim Winter. "Not coincidentally, in just over three weeks the network will be standing before the United States Supreme Court arguing for the right to use the F-word at any time of the day, even in front of children."
Winter added, "The once-proud broadcast network has lost its way and has made it clear it holds no concern whatsoever for children and families. It also risks losing millions in advertising dollars. Whatever principles NBC had in the past, when the network was successful, have clearly gone out the window."
When the whispers about Stern replacing Morgan have spread earlier this year, PTC quickly voiced an opposition and said that it would be "a bad business decision". Not only NBC eventually picked the radio host, but also it moved the production from Los Angeles to New York City to accommodate the shook jock who lives in the Big Apple with his wife.
NBC's executive Paul Telegdy said in a statement, "Howard Stern's larger-than-life personality will bring a thrilling new dynamic to America's Got Talent starting this summer. He's a proven innovator and his track record in broadcasting is truly remarkable. Howard is very passionate about this show and is fully committed to its future success."
More America's Got Talent News
- 'The Purge' Heading to TV as 'Interwoven Anthology'
- Cashmere Cat Releases New Single 'Trust Nobody' Ft. Selena Gomez
- Rob Kardashian Regrets Tweeting Kylie Jenner's Number: 'It Was Miscommunication'
- Kristen Stewart Spooked by Ghost in 'Personal Shopper' Trailer
- Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie Reach Temporary Custody Deal That Includes Family Counseling
- Fifth Harmony's Ally Brooke Falls After Ambushed by Fan on Stage
- Blake Lively and Ryan Reynolds Welcome Their Second Child
- Producer Says Daniel Craig Is Still the 'First Choice' for Next James Bond Movie