Natalie Portman Upset Over Director Patty Jenkins' Dismissal From 'Thor 2'
Natalie Portman was reportedly furious with Marvel Studios over director Patty Jenkins' dismissal from "Thor 2". Multiple sources told The Hollywood Reporter that the Oscar winner has previously planned to step back from acting to spend more time with her baby boy, but she re-engaged in the project and urged Marvel to hire Jenkins as the helmer for the sequel because she thinks it will be great to have a woman directing a big superhero film.
Words are, Portman was "deeply unhappy" with the studio after hearing that Jenkins was no longer attached to the sequel of 2011's "Thor". Nonetheless, the 30-year-old actress will not exit the sequel because she's contractually obligated with the project. It is said that Marvel is now "working overtime to smooth the situation by including her [Portman] in discussion about whom to hire as a replacement."
While it was reported that Jenkins bailed out of "Thor 2" due to creative differences, an insider said that the female director was actually fired by Marvel. It is said that the studio thought Jenkins "was not moving decisively enough and feared the film might miss its November 2013 release date." The source added that Jenkins showed "a lack of overall clarity in her choices."
On the other hand, Jenkins' camp insisted that the lack of clarity was coming from Marvel's part. This insider claimed that Jenkins was so obvious about her vision for the film that she wasn't hired in the first place. "When they started to interview writers for the rewrite...may have decided they really weren't comfortable," so said the insider.
Shortly after leaving "Thor 2" earlier this December, Jenkins claimed that there were no big problems between her and Marvel. She said, "I have had a great time working at Marvel. We parted on very good terms, and I look forward to working with them again." After her departure, the studio reportedly eyes Alan Taylor and Daniel Minahan as the top picks to direct the superhero movie.
"Thor 2" will bring back Portman, Chris Hemsworth and Anthony Hopkins as Jane Foster, Thor and Odin respectively. Screenwriter Don Payne returns to provide the screenplay. The film is scheduled to be released in the U.S. on November 15, 2013.
- Baby Groot Angrily Kills Ravager in New 'Guardians of the Galaxy 2' Teaser
- Shailene Woodley Pleads Guilty to Disorderly Conduct During Pipeline Protest
- Is Chris Brown's New Sex-Drenched Single 'Privacy' to Tempt Rihanna?
- Christina El Moussa Is Dating NHL Star Nate Thompson Amid Divorce From Tarek
- Hugh Grant Dances to Drake's Song in 'Love Actually' Short Film
- Cher's 'Serious Family Issue' Forces Her to Drop Out of Lifetime's Flint Water Crisis Movie
- 'Game of Thrones': Nikolaj Coster-Waldau Teases Big Jaime-Cersei-Brienne Development in Season 7
- Joseph Gordon-Levitt to Direct R-Rated Musical Comedy Co-Starring Channing Tatum