Meryl Streep Becomes the Oldest Cover Girl for Vogue at 62
Meryl Streep is making history with her first cover for the January 2012 issue of Vogue magazine. The 62-year-old star, who has collected two Oscars, seven Golden Globes, two Emmys and many other accolades throughout her career, becomes the oldest actress to ever grace the fashion bible's cover solo.
In an interview with the publication, the actress playing former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher in "The Iron Lady" admitted to have poked fun at being a cover girl at her age. "I was joking with the ladies earlier," she said. "And I told them I was probably the oldest person ever to be on the cover of Vogue."
Dubbed "America's Greatest Actress", Meryl thought her career was over a little more than 20 years ago when she turned 40. "I remember turning to my husband and saying, 'Well, what should we do? Because it's over,' " she said before revealing that she received three offers to play witches in different movies the following years.
"Once women passed childbearing age they could only be seen as grotesque on some level," the mother of four concluded at the time. She went on to portray older woman in such films as "Dancing at Lughnasa" and "One True Thing", which were also about "women whose usefulness had passed."
Still, Meryl's age proved to be beneficial nowadays. Talking about one of her recent films, "It's Complicated", she said it, "in the period of Silkwood , could never have been made, with a 60-year-old actress deciding between her ex-husband and another man. With a 40-year-old actress it would never have been made!"
More Meryl Streep News
- Lil' Kim Cancels Performance at Essence Festival
- Tyga Romances Blonde Beauty in '1 of 1' Music Video
- David Foster's Daughters: Yolanda Hadid Is Not Dying If She Continues to Be on Reality Show
- Alexander Skarsgard Laughs Off Wedding Plan Rumor
- Judi Dench Gets Her First Tattoo at Her 81st Birthday
- Keri Russell Reveals Her Baby's Gender and Name
- Debby Ryan Gets Probation After Pleading No Contest to DUI
- Justin Bieber Falls Again on Stage During His Concert