AFI Awards 2011 Names 'Dragon Tattoo', 'J. Edgar' and More as Movies of the Year
The American Film Institute (AFI) has, on Sunday, December 11, revealed its top ten Movies of the Year for AFI Awards 2011. Among the ten qualified feature films chosen for the annual awards were mind-bending thriller "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2011)" and FBI director biopic "J. Edgar".
"Dragon Tattoo" was not the only yet-to-be-released film that has made it to the top ten picks. Steven Spielberg's upcoming drama "War Horse" also made it into the list, which is dominated by drama movies but still includes Kristen Wiig-starring romantic comedy "Bridesmaids".
In addition to Movies of the Year list, AFI has chosen "The Artist" and the "Harry Potter" film series to receive the Special Awards. The awards are given to those outstanding achievements in the motion picture that do not match AFI's standard criteria, which include feature-length films, American-base films and theatrically-released films in Los Angeles.
Aside from the Movies of the Year and Special Awards winners, AFI announced the TV Programs of the Year as well, seeing "Game of Thrones", "Boardwalk Empire" and "Homeland" among the top ten. The trophies will be presented to the winners during a ceremony on January 13, 2012 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Los Angeles.
AFI Movies of the Year:
- "The Descendants"
- "The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)"
- "The Help"
- "J. Edgar"
- "Midnight In Paris"
- "The Tree Of Life"
- "War Horse"
- "The Artist"
- The "Harry Potter" Series
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased
- Orlando Bloom Spotted Having Dinner With Mysterious Brunette
- 'Fear the Walking Dead' New Season 3 Promo Shows How Brutal Survival Is
- Orlando Bloom Broke Noomi Rapace's Nose on 'Unlocked' Filming Set
- 'X-Men' TV Pilot 'Gifted' Reveals First Look at Stan Lee Cameo
- Travis Scott Dating Kylie Jenner Is Career Suicide, His Pals Think
- Not Pleased With Her Body, Kendall Jenner Is Dying to Be Like Emily Ratajkowski
- Nicki Minaj to Release a Surprise Project on Tidal