Mindy McCready Credits Son for Giving Her a Reason to Live
Mindy McCready has attempted suicide several times in the past, but she now claims that her young son has given her a reason to live. In a new interview on "20/20" airing Friday, December 9 night, the "Ten Thousand Angels" singer told ABC News' Andrea Canning, "Zander saved my life."
The 36-year-old, who made headlines for taking the 5-year-old boy from her mother's home earlier the same month, elaborated her statement, "Every time I wanted to let go and give in, I remember what he did for me." She went on to gush, "[I love him] more than anything. He is my little angel."
During the chat, the "Guys Do It All the Time" hitmaker also insisted that she didn't think "taking my own child, that I carried for nine months, that I gave birth to in the hospital by myself would ever be breaking the law." She did, however, state, "I believe everybody makes mistakes, everybody has to grow up."
On her not bringing back Zander right away despite being ordered to, Mindy said, "Do you have any idea what it is like to have one minute with him after having four and a half years without him? [Imagine] not being able to have one second holding him, smelling him and touching him. I'm not going to give up one minute, not for anything, not for anyone."
Mindy also accused her mother, Gayle Inge who has been Zander's legal guardian for the past four years, was abusive toward her son. "Zander was being beaten with a wooden spoon. They are scars on Zander's back, there are scars on his bottom and his legs, from the spoon," she claimed.
Gayle was quick to response to the allegation. She told ABC News, "I have been Zander's guardian for four and a half years. There has been all kinds of scrutiny. He has never been abused in our care."
In the interview, the pregnant Mindy also recalled the time Zander was picked up by authorities in Arkansas.
- Morgan Freeman Eyed to Join Disney's New 'Nutcracker' Film
- Get Your First Look at Tyler Hoechlin as Clark Kent on 'Supergirl'
- Taika Waititi Hints at Thanos' Connection to 'Thor: Ragnarok' in New Photo
- Lindsey Vonn Accidentally Flashes Underwear on the Red Carpet
- Rihanna Swarmed by Her Fans in 'Goodnight Gotham' Music Video
- Tony Parker Welcomes Second Child With Wife Axelle Francine
- Candice Swanepoel Bares Baby Bump While Posing Completely Naked in This Photo
- 'Sesame Street' Reconsiders Layoffs After Public Outcry, Actor Says