Gene Simmons Thinks 'Karaoke Singer' Madonna Is Not Appropriate for Super Bowl
Gene Simmons was unimpressed with Super Bowl XLVI for choosing Madonna as a performer during its halftime show. When leaving Boa in Hollywood recently, The KISS star told TMZ that the Material Girl is inappropriate for the gig because he thinks she's one of those singers who "get up and sing with tapes."
The rock star voiced his thought in a statement which drips with sarcasm, "I love all karaoke singers." He added, "You've got to have some integrity. I don't care what your music is, have some integrity - be real. Or, full disclosure before the fact. Hold up a sign and say, '70 percent of what you hear is fake, it's tape. I'm a karaoke singer'."
"By the way, Madonna's terrific," Simmons said. "But I hate the tapes." He didn't think the "Hard Candy" singer was good enough for the Super Bowl though, stating, "I don't think it's appropriate." He, however, added, "But that doesn't matter. If you're going to get up, do it real. Do a real band, or tell everyone it's a tape. I hate tapes."
Madonna will collaborate with Cirque du Soleil, Jamie King, and Moment Factory to perform at Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, Ind. on February 5, 2012. "It's a huge deal, my God," she said. "To be as exciting as the football game is a huge challenge. And to get your stage set up in eight minutes, another huge challenge."
This will mark the first time ever Madge sings at the show. Back in 1998, she was in talks to perform at the halftime show just in time for the promo of her then-new album "Ray of Light", but the deal met a dead-end. Two years later, she was set to sing her single "American Pie" at the sport event, but she canceled it due to scheduling conflicts.
The "W.E." director joins past Super Bowl performers like The Who, Janet Jackson, Justin Timberlake, Bruce Springsteen, Prince, The Rolling Stones, U2 and Paul McCartney. Last year, it was Black Eyed Peas who're chosen to do the honor.
- John Legend Expresses His Anger and Hope in 'In America'
- Ryan Gosling Explains His Giggle During Oscar Fiasco
- Report: Kevin Hart's Wife Eniko Pregnant With Their First Child
- 'Avengers: Infinity War' Starts Filming in Scotland, Set Photos and Video Arrive
- 'Orphan Black' Unveils First Photos and Details of Final Season
- Hailey Baldwin Fuels Cameron Dallas Dating Rumors as They're Spotted Grabbing Lunch Together
- Donald Trump and Wife Melania Reportedly Sleep in Separate Bedrooms and Never Spend a Night Together
- Iggy Azalea Is Twerking in Sneak Peek of 'Mo Bounce' Music Video