'HIMYM' Creator Explains Decision to Give the Latest Twist in Robin's Life
"How I Met Your Mother" has seen Robin in a very emotional moment lately. After believing that she is expecting, the journalist has to face the truth in this week's episode that [SPOILER ALERT!] she is not pregnant and can't have a baby.
Explaining why they put Robin in this kind of situation, Carter Bays says, "This was an important moment we wanted to hit for the series arc." To TV Guide, he also reveals that they decided last summer to make Robin infertile.
"We've always said that Robin doesn't have kids, but thought it would be interesting to see how a door being closed to her would effect her. Even if she always thought she never wanted kids, it's still tough to hear," Bays elaborates.
The creator/executive producer admits that giving the latest twist in Robin's personal life is "something we're nervous about." He goes on describing Robin's fertility problem as "a much more sensitive issue" than seeing Marshall's father dying, but hoping that "we do it justice."
Carter additionally dishes how such issue will change Cobie Smulders' character. "We're setting off an arc to explore more of Robin's professional life," he shares. "We're also looking to get into some of her issues - like the inability to open up and share with people. This will drive the second half of the season and come to effect her relationship with Kevin and other members of the group."
As for Barney who was a potential father of Robin's baby, he will be seen "moving on in the remainder of the season." It will explain how Becki Newton arrives as his new love interest in the second half of season 7.
In related news, the December 5 outing of the comedy series posted the highest rated regular broadcast for the show since January 12, 2009. It drew 11.7 million viewers and a 4.5 rating in 18-49 demographic.
- Ryan Seacrest Assures Fans Everything Is OK After Fire Breaks Out at His $50M Mansion
- Pregnant Again? Blac Chyna Sports Suspicious Bump While Stepping Out With Another Man
- Get a Look at Intriguing New Footage of 'King Arthur: Legend of the Sword'
- Nicole Scherzinger Flashes Ample Cleavage and Toned Abs for New Ad
- Kurt Sutter Reveals The Mayans Originally Didn't Exist in 'Sons of Anarchy'
- Colton Haynes Introduces New Boyfriend Jeff Leatham
- First Look at Kurt Russell as Ego the Living Planet in 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'
- Here's the First Look of Shocker's Costume in 'Spider-Man: Homecoming'