Bollywood Icon Dev Anand Died of Cardiac Arrest, to Be Cremated in London
Bollywood is mourning the death of one of its legends. Actor/filmmaker Dev Anand, who was known as the Adonis of Indian cinema, passed away in London on Saturday, December 3. In town for medical treatment, he was at the time staying at the Washington Mayfair Hotel with son Sunil.
Mohan Churiwala, Anand's manager, told IANS that Sunil called the doctor after he saw his father, who was often compared to Hollywood legend Gregory Peck, unresponsive. "The doctor said that he had a heart attack. He died at 10 in the night in London," the manager dished on.
The cremation for the uncle of "Elizabeth" director Shekhar Kapur will be held in London later this week, Churiwala said. "He will be cremated in London only after Tuesday. Cremation cannot take place till his daughter reaches there. His body is kept in a hospital right now," he explained.
Sharing news of Anand's death, Kapur wrote on Twitter, "Dev Anand lived n died at his own terms. He was working one minute. Sat down and smiled. And was gone the next. So much 2 learn." He also reminisced the past by tweeting, "Dev Anand persuaded me to come to the movie industry and gave me my first break as an actor."
Among others paying tribute to the late Bollywood icon was India's Prime Minister Manmohan Singh. He said in a statement, "Dev Anand was a great artiste who entertained generations of cinema lovers over five decades. He was an embodiment of a life long passion for acting and film making. I join millions of his fans in mourning his death."
- Watch Ariana Grande and Bruno Mars Perform at Star-Studded We Can Survive Concert
- Kim Kardashian Angry at Beyonce for Not Reaching Out to Her After Paris Robbery
- Kim Zolciak Criticized for Posting Inappropriate Photo of 2-Year-Old Daughter Kaia
- New 'Game of Thrones' Photos Confirm the Highly Anticipated Meet-Up
- Pregnant Janet Jackson Steps Out in Full Islamic Dress
- Charlie Puth Cancels the Rest of His Tour Dates Because He's 'Extremely Sick'
- Chris Hemsworth Shoots Down Split Reports With Cheeky Instagram Post
- Kim Kardashian Said She Could 'Handle' Social Media Days Before She Got Robbed