Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton Get Fierce in First 'Hansel and Gretel' Official Photo
The first official image of "Hansel and Gretel: Witch Hunters" has been debuted via Entertainment Weekly. It features lead actors Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton rocking all-black ensembles while striking a fierce pose in the middle of the woods. They are seen standing tall with riffles in their hands.
Though the classic tale has been told over and over again for many years, Artenton claimed that the upcoming movie adaptation promises something different with a darker take on it. "They resonate with your fears, that's how these fairy tales worked," she said. "They scared you into behaving. This one in particular is about abandonment and being lost and parents leaving you."
"The heart of it is that these kids grow up to be bloodthirsty witch hunters. It's a bit tongue-in-cheek, really. What would Hansel and Gretel be in 15 years time?" she went on saying. "But it's also very, very dark, and bloodthirsty and there's a lot of cursing. It's kind of got a [Quentin] Tarantino feel, really."
Explaining the differences between Hansel and Gretel, Artenton said, "Gretel is much more in tune with her spiritual side. Hansel is a typical action hero, cheeky, funny, a womanizer." She added, "She's much of a thinker, intense, internal and bit more open-minded than he is."
The forthcoming "Hansel and Gretel" movie is set fifteen years after the siblings killed the witch who kidnapped them, with Hansel and Gretel now becoming bounty hunters who pursue witches. During their adventure, the siblings encounter a corrupt town sherrif named Stormare.
Serving behind the lens for the action comedy is Tommy Wirkola, who also writes the script along with D.W. Harper. Joining Artenton and Renner in the cast ensemble are Famke Janssen, Ingrid Bolso Berdal, Peter Stormare and Derek Mears. Paramount Pictures has scheduled to release the film in the U.S. on March 2, 2012.
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3
- Louis Tomlinson and Bebe Rexha Announce New Collab 'Back to You'
- Meek Mill and His Crew Caught Jumping and Attacking Nicki Minaj's Ex Safaree
- Are Jon Hamm and Jenny Slate Dating? Pal Says 'They're a Perfect Match'
- Emily Ratajkowski Parades Her Impressive Bum in Tiny Thong Bikini in Italy