Tom Cruise Close to Play Reborn Soldier in Sci-Fi Film 'All You Need Is Kill'
Tom Cruise is close to land another big role in a potential tentpole sci-fi titled "All You Need Is Kill". The 49-year-old actor has agreed to take on the lead role in the Doug Liman-directed film, which is expected to kick off the production in the late third/early fourth quarter of 2012.
Variety reported that Liman has traveled to Pittsburgh, where Cruise is filming "One Shot", to discuss the role with the actor. Though no formal deal has been signed, multiple sources revealed that the "Mission: Impossible" actor was pleased with the script, which is rewritten by Joby Harold.
"All You Need Is Kill" is set in the vein of "Groundhog Day". It follows a new recruit soldier who battles aliens in a war and finds himself caught in a time loop in which he wakes up in the past after having been killed on the battlefield. As the soldier's death and resurrection repeat, his skills as a soldier grow as he attempts to change his fate.
Cruise will soon be seen reprising his role as the IMF point man Ethan Hunt in "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol", which will open wide in the U.S. on December 21. His other upcoming films include Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure "Horizons", and Adam Shankman's musical drama "Rock of Ages".
- Rihanna Warns Fans Not to Play Pokemon Go at Her Concert as Beyonce and Adele Face Same Issue
- Disney Plans 'Han Solo' Trilogy With Alden Ehrenreich
- Chrissy Teigen and Kim Kardashian Fought With Their Husbands at Each Other's Wedding
- Karl Urban Debuts His 'Thor: Ragnarok' Look. See His Newly Shaved Head
- Matt Damon and Jimmy Kimmel Go to Couples Therapy Again. Does It Work This Time?
- Jeremy Renner's Ex Claims He Refuses to Pay Child Support
- Secretly Married? See Miley Cyrus' New Band on Her Ring Finger
- Meet the Ravagers From 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2'