Tom Cruise Close to Play Reborn Soldier in Sci-Fi Film 'All You Need Is Kill'
Tom Cruise is close to land another big role in a potential tentpole sci-fi titled "All You Need Is Kill". The 49-year-old actor has agreed to take on the lead role in the Doug Liman-directed film, which is expected to kick off the production in the late third/early fourth quarter of 2012.
Variety reported that Liman has traveled to Pittsburgh, where Cruise is filming "One Shot", to discuss the role with the actor. Though no formal deal has been signed, multiple sources revealed that the "Mission: Impossible" actor was pleased with the script, which is rewritten by Joby Harold.
"All You Need Is Kill" is set in the vein of "Groundhog Day". It follows a new recruit soldier who battles aliens in a war and finds himself caught in a time loop in which he wakes up in the past after having been killed on the battlefield. As the soldier's death and resurrection repeat, his skills as a soldier grow as he attempts to change his fate.
Cruise will soon be seen reprising his role as the IMF point man Ethan Hunt in "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol", which will open wide in the U.S. on December 21. His other upcoming films include Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure "Horizons", and Adam Shankman's musical drama "Rock of Ages".
- Are They Splitting Up? Khloe Kardashian and Tristan Thompson Have 'Explosive' Fights
- 'Last Ship' Halts Production as Eric Dane Battles Depression
- Little Mix, Justin Bieber and Bruno Mars Among Winners at Radio Disney Music Awards 2017
- Radio Disney Music Awards 2017: Noah Cyrus, Camila Cabello and Sabrina Carpenter Stun on Red Carpet
- Control Freak Angelina Jolie 'Keeps Tabs' on Brad Pitt: She Has Google Alert on His Name
- Kelly Ripa Will Announce New 'Live!' Co-Host on Monday
- Kendall Jenner and A$AP Rocky Reignite Dating Speculations After Seen Shopping Together in NYC
- Drama 'Super Family' Is Under Fire for Using Jessica Jung's Name as a Deceased