Tom Cruise Close to Play Reborn Soldier in Sci-Fi Film 'All You Need Is Kill'
Tom Cruise is close to land another big role in a potential tentpole sci-fi titled "All You Need Is Kill". The 49-year-old actor has agreed to take on the lead role in the Doug Liman-directed film, which is expected to kick off the production in the late third/early fourth quarter of 2012.
Variety reported that Liman has traveled to Pittsburgh, where Cruise is filming "One Shot", to discuss the role with the actor. Though no formal deal has been signed, multiple sources revealed that the "Mission: Impossible" actor was pleased with the script, which is rewritten by Joby Harold.
"All You Need Is Kill" is set in the vein of "Groundhog Day". It follows a new recruit soldier who battles aliens in a war and finds himself caught in a time loop in which he wakes up in the past after having been killed on the battlefield. As the soldier's death and resurrection repeat, his skills as a soldier grow as he attempts to change his fate.
Cruise will soon be seen reprising his role as the IMF point man Ethan Hunt in "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol", which will open wide in the U.S. on December 21. His other upcoming films include Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure "Horizons", and Adam Shankman's musical drama "Rock of Ages".
- Anne Hathaway Admits She Faked Happiness During Her 2013 Oscar Win
- 'Real Housewives of Miami' Star Larsa Splits From Husband Scottie Pippen Amid Future Romance Rumor
- Former Bachelorette Desiree Hartsock Gives Birth to Baby Boy
- Jennifer Lawrence to Lead Zelda Fitzgerald Biopic
- Kim Kardashian's Family Shares Throwbacks and Birthday Wishes as She Turns 36
- Chris Pratt to Return to TV as Guest Star on His Wife Anna Faris' 'Mom'
- Katy Perry and Pharrell Williams Named Co-Chairs for 2017 Met Gala
- Shailene Woodley Writes Powerful Essay About Her Arrest During Pipeline Protest