Tom Cruise Close to Play Reborn Soldier in Sci-Fi Film 'All You Need Is Kill'
Tom Cruise is close to land another big role in a potential tentpole sci-fi titled "All You Need Is Kill". The 49-year-old actor has agreed to take on the lead role in the Doug Liman-directed film, which is expected to kick off the production in the late third/early fourth quarter of 2012.
Variety reported that Liman has traveled to Pittsburgh, where Cruise is filming "One Shot", to discuss the role with the actor. Though no formal deal has been signed, multiple sources revealed that the "Mission: Impossible" actor was pleased with the script, which is rewritten by Joby Harold.
"All You Need Is Kill" is set in the vein of "Groundhog Day". It follows a new recruit soldier who battles aliens in a war and finds himself caught in a time loop in which he wakes up in the past after having been killed on the battlefield. As the soldier's death and resurrection repeat, his skills as a soldier grow as he attempts to change his fate.
Cruise will soon be seen reprising his role as the IMF point man Ethan Hunt in "Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol", which will open wide in the U.S. on December 21. His other upcoming films include Joseph Kosinski's sci-fi adventure "Horizons", and Adam Shankman's musical drama "Rock of Ages".
- Brad Pitt Is Cocky General in Teaser for Netflix's 'War Machine'
- Oprah Winfrey Considers Running for President, Thanks to Donald Trump
- Andi Dorfman Sparks Plastic Surgery Rumors
- Madonna Is Turning to Ex Sean Penn Amid Adoption Crisis
- 'Beauty and the Beast' Will Feature Disney's First Gay Character
- Jay-Z and Chris Martin Enjoy Night Out in WeHo
- Kris Is Convincing Caitlyn Jenner to Return to 'KUWTK' After 'I Am Cait' Cancellation
- Lady GaGa Confirms Coachella Gig With Line-Up Photo