Report: Rihanna, Ke$ha and Lady GaGa Banned From Dance Category at Grammys
Rihanna, Ke$ha, Lady GaGa, who have scored some dance hits, reportedly won't be seen in Dance category at the 54th annual Grammy Awards. In addition to the three female singers, the Academy allegedly has also blocked Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez from the category.
Riri was nominated for 2008 Best Dance Recording through her single "Don't Stop the Music" and got the same nod the next year through "Disturbia" before finally winning the prize in the category this year. She brought home the Golden Gramophone through her single "Only Girl (In the World)".
GaGa fought Riri in 2009 Best Dance Recording through her smash hit "Just Dance", but they both lost it to Daft Punk. In 2010, she got a sweet revenge by winning in the category, thanks to "Poker Face". In the same year, she additionally got Best Electronic/Dance Album for "The Fame".
Rumor has it, those stars will be shifted from the Dance category to Pop field in the nomination list. It's an effort to give some spaces for disc jokeys and more hardcore dance acts like Afrojack, Calvin Harris, Skrillex and Benny Benassi to battle each other for the Golden Gramophone.
According to Examiner, several Academy members have confirmed the new policy although official announcement hasn't been made. Words are, a leaked list of nominee hopefuls for Best Dance Recording has somewhat confirmed the rumored change by excluding all those pop stars.
Grammy Nominees will be officially unveiled during a live concert on November 30 at the Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles. Jason Aldean, Lady GaGa, Ludacris, Lupe Fiasco, Sugarland, Rihanna, Usher and The Band Perry will perform. LL Cool J is set to host, and Katy Perry will serve as a presenter along with Nicki Minaj.
- Listen to Niall Horan's First Solo Single 'This Town' Here!
- Kim Kardashian Is Sick of Taylor Swift Question: 'I'm So Over It'
- Luke Cage's Leading Lady Misty Knight Confirmed to Return on 'The Defenders'
- Don't Call Zayn Malik 'Celebrity' Because He Loathes It!
- Vitalii Sediuk Calls His Attempt to Kiss Kim Kardashian's Butt a Protest Against 'Butt Implants'
- Gavin Rossdale Follows Gwen Stefani's Lead, Joins 'The Voice UK' as New Judge
- Report: Ashton Kutcher and Mila Kunis Expecting Baby Boy
- Watch Benedict Cumberbatch's Full Performance With Pink Floyd's David Gilmour at London Concert