Hayley Atwell Might Return as Peggy Carter in 'Captain America' Sequel
While the sequel to "Captain America: The First Avenger" has been planned, it is still uncertain whether or not all the lead actors will return to the upcoming movie. Recently, Hayley Atwell has opened up that there's a possibility she will reprise her role as Peggy Carter in the sequel.
"I haven't heard anything. There have been talks... there's a possibility," so the English actress told the Press Association. "I know they're either writing it now or they have written it by now, so I've moved on in another direction."
"But of course if they were to bring me back or ask if I was interested I'd definitely love to go back and revisit that role and develop her," the 29-year-old actress went on saying. "That would be wonderful."
Atwell shared that she enjoyed playing Peggy since director Joe Johnston made the character to be more than just an eye candy. "He wanted to bring emotional truth or a gravitas to it, so that she wasn't just the totty and she wasn't also the stereotype hard a**e. He likes intelligent, strong women," said the actress. "He's not intimidated by that, and I think that's what gives Peggy more weight."
During the chat, Atwell also opened up about her feelings for not being cast in "The Avengers". She said, "There are fans of the comic and of Peggy and Steve's relationship that would probably want to see more of that. But for me as an actor it frees me up from a franchise. It frees me up creatively from being too established as one particular role, which gives me more creative freedom."
In "Captain America: The First Avenger", which was released on July 22 this year, Atwell played alongside Chris Evans who tackled the superhero. As for the sequel, screenwriters Stephen McFeely and Christopher Markus have been tapped to provide the script.
Back in June, McFeely revealed details of the sequel, which is exptected to be released sometime in 2014. "The story will likely be in the present day. We're experimenting with flashback elements for more period World War II stuff," he said. "I can't say much more than that but we made it baggy enough to refer to more stories in the past."
- Gisele Bundchen Gets Shirtless Assistant Taking Care of Her Booty During Photo Shoot
- Beyonce Remembers Aaliyah 15 Years Later With Sweet Throwback Video
- Chris Evans' Steve Rogers Is No Longer Captain America in MCU, Russo Brothers Confirm
- 'Blade Runner 2' Set Collapses, Kills Construction Worker
- Scott Eastwood Makes Emotional Phone Call to Father of His Ex Who Died in Car Crash
- Snoop Dogg and Wiz Khalifa Sued by Victims of Collapsed Railing at Their Concert
- Homeland Security on the Hunt for Those Who Hacked Leslie Jones' Website
- Check Out Christina Grimmie's Third Posthumous Music Video for 'Deception'