'Breaking Dawn I' Birth Scene Reportedly Causing Wave of In-Theater Seizures
Bella's labor scene in "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II" might be one of the magnets in the movie, but the scene has allegedly been causing a wave of seizures in cinemas nationwide. According to ABC News, some moviegoers had suffered in-theater seizures because of the tension while watching the nerve-wracking scene.
A victim named Brandon Gephart from California was watching the movie on Friday, 18 when he began "convulsing, snorting, [and] trying to breathe." His girlfriend Kelly Bauman said that Gephart didn't remember anything before he awoke on the theater's floor and was taken out by paramedics. It caused the remainder of the screening to be halted.
Similar cases also happened in some other cities across the country. A married couple in Utah said that the intense graphic scene had caused the husband to pass out and led to his entire body shaking. "I didn't really remember what happened after that I think I blacked out. According to her [the wife], I was shaking and mumbling different noises."
The couple confessed that they left the theater early, but when they came back the following day they were told that the same case happened to another girl who watched the same movie. The symptoms reportedly occured during the birth scene, which contains flashes of red, black and white.
Dr. Michael G. Chez, medical director of pediatric neurology and epilepsy for Sutter Sacramento, explained of the symptoms, "It's like a light switch going off, because it hits your brain all at once." He added, "The trouble with theaters, it's dark, the lights flashing in there is more like a strobe light."
"Breaking Dawn I" has been released in theaters across the U.S. since November 18. In the film, the newfound married bliss of Bella and vampire Edward is cut short when a series of betrayal and misfortune threatens to destroy their world. On its first weekend, the movie claimed the champion title on box office with a solid $138.1 million, which was the fifth biggest opening ever.
A follow-up movie for "Breaking Dawn I", "The Twilight Saga's Breaking Dawn Part II", is expected to be released nationwide on November 16, 2013. Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson and Taylor Lautner are set to return as Bella, Edward and Jacob respectively.
- Drake Gets Eighth Week at Billboard 200's No. 1, RHCP Starts at No. 2
- Photos: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Hit the Beach in U.K. Joined by His Family
- Liv Tyler Jokes About Her 'Pointy and Giant' Baby Bump
- BET Awards 2016: Beyonce and Drake Dominate Winner List
- Muhammad Ali's Daughter Laila Gets Emotional While Honoring Her Late Father at 2016 BET Awards
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Recap: Does It Confirm Fan Theory About Jon's True Parentage?
- BET Awards 2016: Bryson Tiller and Drake Win More
- Jennifer Hudson Dresses as Prince in White Hooded Dress at 2016 BET Awards