Hugh Laurie to Retire From Acting on Small Screen When 'House' Ends
"House M.D." may be Hugh Laurie's last appearance as a male lead on the small screen. The actor who stars as grumpy doctor Gregory House on FOX's hit medical drama suggested in a recent interview that he would likely retire from acting on the small screen once the series comes to an end.
"I can't imagine there will be another one quite like this," he told the Daily Record. "I think I will probably be as interested by either writing or producing or directing, or some other aspect. I find the whole field of it fascinating. And I think I am extremely lucky to have had the one shot that I have had at it and I wouldn't go looking for lightning to strike twice."
After eight years starring on "House", the 52-year-old actor said, "I hope I'm not going to drop dead, assuming that I'm unplugged," when the series ends. He added, "We have done 170-odd shows, that's about 56 feature films worth. That's a huge amount of experience and that sort of experience gives you a confidence in a way. I think that I have a confidence that I might not have had."
"House M.D." has been picked up for its eighth season back in May. Hugh, however, suggested in a radio interview that it is likely to be the show's final season. Speaking to U.K.'s Radio Times, the actor said at the time, "The end of (the eighth) season, right now, looks like the end of the show. That is as far as they have got me for."
- 'Celebrity Apprentice' Recap: Mixed-Up Teams and Nude Photo Shoot
- 'The Bachelor' Recap: Backstreet Boys' Performance, a 'Nickathlon' and a Zero Gravity Date
- See Margot Robbie's Drastic Transformation to Portray Tonya Harding
- Green Day Roasts Donald Trump in 'Troubled Times' Lyric Video
- New Couple Alert! Suki Waterhouse and 'Rogue One' Star Diego Luna Caught Getting Handsy in Mexico
- Kourtney Kardashian Is Still 'Serious' About Scott Disick Despite Reunion With Justin Bieber
- Mariah Carey and Elton John Rake in Millions of Dollars From Russian Billionaire Heiress' Wedding
- Armie Hammer and Elizabeth Chambers Welcome Baby No. 2