Hugh Laurie to Retire From Acting on Small Screen When 'House' Ends
"House M.D." may be Hugh Laurie's last appearance as a male lead on the small screen. The actor who stars as grumpy doctor Gregory House on FOX's hit medical drama suggested in a recent interview that he would likely retire from acting on the small screen once the series comes to an end.
"I can't imagine there will be another one quite like this," he told the Daily Record. "I think I will probably be as interested by either writing or producing or directing, or some other aspect. I find the whole field of it fascinating. And I think I am extremely lucky to have had the one shot that I have had at it and I wouldn't go looking for lightning to strike twice."
After eight years starring on "House", the 52-year-old actor said, "I hope I'm not going to drop dead, assuming that I'm unplugged," when the series ends. He added, "We have done 170-odd shows, that's about 56 feature films worth. That's a huge amount of experience and that sort of experience gives you a confidence in a way. I think that I have a confidence that I might not have had."
"House M.D." has been picked up for its eighth season back in May. Hugh, however, suggested in a radio interview that it is likely to be the show's final season. Speaking to U.K.'s Radio Times, the actor said at the time, "The end of (the eighth) season, right now, looks like the end of the show. That is as far as they have got me for."
- Is Jennifer Lawrence Dating Darren Aronofsky to Score Movie Roles?
- Selena Gomez's Mother Is NOT Fighting for a Conservatorship Despite Report
- Nicole Richie Is Livid Her Sister Sofia Richie Hangs Out With Her Ex-BFF Paris Hilton
- 'Legends of Tomorrow': Where's Rip Hunter? EP Promises 'You Will Find Out Before the Legends Do'
- George and Amal Clooney Unabashedly Affectionate on Movie Set
- Kris Jenner Tearfully Blasts 'Disloyal' Kim Over Caitlyn Jenner Drama, Wants Her to Pick Sides
- Watch the First Teaser Trailer for Barack Obama Biopic 'Barry'
- Benedict Cumberbatch's Doctor Strange Not the Right Magician for Birthday Party. Watch It Yourself!