Video: Nickelback Win the Crowd at NFL Thanksgiving Game Despite Protests
Nickelback were unfazed by Detroit 55,000-signed online petition which opposed their scheduled performance at the NFL's Thanksgiving Day game. At the Thursday night, November 24 championship, the Chad Kroeger-fronted band performed in good spirits battling any possible protests that might arise with a song about unity, "When We Stand Together".
Rumor has it, the Canadian band were met with a few boos from the crowd flooding the Ford Field at the beginning of their performance, but the cheers drown out the jeers. They were accompanied by local dancers and marching band members with flames and fireworks lighting up the sky. The show ended with a capture of fans in the stands holding up signs that read "Live United".
The Thursday halftime show, which was held during the showdown between the Detroit Lions and the Green Bay Packers, was to benefit the United Way. The charity included the "Nickelback Gives a Quarter Back" cause in which the band give away 25 cents - up to $100,000 - for every person who pledges to volunteer with the United Way as a reader or tutor.
As an alternative, Ann Arbor musician Mayer Hawthorne teamed up with Rolling Stone magazine to hold a live streaming show of his own. Taking place at the basement of his parents home, he performed such songs as "The Walk", "The Ills" and "Your Easy Lovin' Ain't Pleasin' Nothin' ". He played with a band that included included his dad on bass.
More Nickelback News
- Katherine Heigl and Josh Kelley Welcome Baby Boy - Find Out His Name
- Katie Holmes and Suri Cruise Have Mother-Daughter Date at Lakers Game
- Justin Bieber on Selena Gomez's Romance With The Weeknd: It's Only for Promotion
- Chris Brown and Rihanna May Start Hooking Up Again After Spotted Hanging Out Together
- Chris Pratt Shares Great Chemistry With Anna Faris in 'Mom' Sneak Peek
- Amber Rose Left Blushing After Beau Val Chmerkovkiy Kisses Her at NY Knicks Game
- What Bad Blood? Selena Gomez and Taylor Swift Reunite at Secret Meeting After Months Apart
- DJ Khaled May Be Working on New Music With Alicia Keys, Justin Bieber and Chance the Rapper