Jimmy Fallon and Questlove Sorry for Offensive Song Used for Michele Bachmann
Jimmy Fallon has offered his sincere apology for using Fishbone's song "Lyin' A** B****" to welcome guest Michele Bachmann on "Late Night With Jimmy Fallon". Realizing that the song choice may have insulted the Republican Presidential contender, the comedian took to Twitter to say that he is sorry.
"I'm honored that @michelebachmann was on our show yesterday and I'm so sorry about the intro mess," so the former cast member of "Saturday Night Live" tweeted via his official account a day after Bachmann appeared on his show on Monday, November 21. "I really hope she comes back."
Questlove, the drummer as well as the leader of the show's band The Roots, has also expressed his regret toward the song choice. "The performance was a tongue-in-cheek and spur of the moment decision. The show was not aware of it and I feel bad if her feelings were hurt. That was not my intention," he stated.
On the Monday episode of the late-night show, the band played snippet of the 1980s track while Bachmann was waving to the audience without realizing the lyrics. The song itself is not political, but its lyrics mention the words "lyin' a** b****" several times.
Prior to the show, Questlove had hinted about his band's plan to use the song to welcome Bachmann. "aight late night walkon song devotees: you love it when we snark: this next one takes the cake. ask around cause i aint tweeting title," he wrote, before giving another clue that the song is taken from Fisborne's EP. Fallon later joked that Questlove "is grounded."
Bachmann's camp has not released any statement regarding the song, but some people slammed the use of the offensive single. Congresswoman Nita Lowey, who claimed she does not share Bachmann's politics, stated, "She [Bachmann] deserves to be treated with respect," reasoning, "No female politician - and no woman - should be subjected to sexist and offensive innuendo like she was last night."
Feministing editor Chloe Angyal sounded off similar opinion. "It's never acceptable to call a woman a b****. Period," she told Fox411. "Challenge Bachmann on the issues all you want, fact check her, call her out on her dishonesty. Do not call her, or anyone else, a b****."
- Drake Gets Eighth Week at Billboard 200's No. 1, RHCP Starts at No. 2
- Photos: Taylor Swift and Tom Hiddleston Hit the Beach in U.K. Joined by His Family
- Liv Tyler Jokes About Her 'Pointy and Giant' Baby Bump
- BET Awards 2016: Beyonce and Drake Dominate Winner List
- Muhammad Ali's Daughter Laila Gets Emotional While Honoring Her Late Father at 2016 BET Awards
- 'Game of Thrones' Season 6 Finale Recap: Does It Confirm Fan Theory About Jon's True Parentage?
- BET Awards 2016: Bryson Tiller and Drake Win More
- Jennifer Hudson Dresses as Prince in White Hooded Dress at 2016 BET Awards