Artist of the Week: The Band Perry
It needs only three years for The Band Perry to reach stardom after being signed to Republic Nashville. Discovered by Garth Brooks' manager Bob Doyle in 2008, Kimberly Perry, Neil Perry and Reid Perry released their debut single "Hip to My Heart" in 2009 and climbed Billboard Country Songs to a peak position at No. 20.
Having a decent start with the Nathan Chapman-produced song, this sibling band continued busting the chart by reaching a higher spot. Through their second single "If I Die Young" which came out in the following year, they ruled Billboard Country Songs and Adult Contemporary, and additionally peaked at No. 4 on Adult Pop Songs.
On Hot 100, the single reached the top 15 in its 35th week on sale. It became the slowest climb into such position and broke the record previously held by Carrie Underwood and Taylor Swift. The two female singers needed 33 weeks to break into the top 15 with their "Before He Cheats" and "Teardrops on My Guitar" respectively.
The Band Perry's success continued as they were nominated for Best Country Song at the 53rd annual Grammy Awards in 2011. This nod was followed by a number of coveted nominations including two ACM Awards and one Teen Choice Award. They brought their first prize at CMT Music Awards by winning Breakthrough Video of the Year.
A few months later, the trio, who debuted at No. 4 when releasing their self-titled album in October this year, won big at Country Music Association (CMA) Awards by collecting three trophies. They won Single of the Year and were named New Artist of the Year. Kimberly who wrote the song added another gong by taking home Song of the Year prize.
They will sum up the year of 2011 by performing in some major events. They have been tapped to perform for President Barack Obama and family at "Christmas in Washington" along with the likes of Justin Bieber, Cee-Lo Green and Victoria Justice. On top of that, they are set to perform at Grammy Nominations Concert alongside such big stars as Lady GaGa and Rihanna.
- Miley Cyrus and Katy Perry Go Door to Door for Hillary Clinton at College Dorms
- Watch: Lady GaGa Performs 'Joanne' Songs on 'SNL'
- Tom Hanks Plays 'Black Jeopardy' as Donald Trump's Supporter on 'SNL'
- Bob Dylan Called 'Arrogant' for Ignoring Nobel Prize Win
- 'Doctor Strange' Star Tilda Swinton Wants Her Own Marvel Movie
- Jay-Z Makes History as Nominee for 2017 Songwriters Hall of Fame
- Police Called to Larsa and Scottie Pippen's House Before Divorce Announcement
- Did Madonna Just Clap Back at Lady GaGa With This Meme?