AMAs 2011: Katy Perry and Jennifer Lopez Added to Winner List
2011 American Music Awards is far from done. After handing awards to Maroon 5, Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj and Rihanna earlier in the evening, they proceeded to invite Lady Antebellum to the stage to collect Favorite Country band/Duo/Group prize. The award was presented by Nickelback.
It marked Hillary Scott and her bandmates's win in the category for two years in a row. This year, the trio pushed aside fellow Zac Brown Band and new country act The Band Perry. When delivering the acceptance speech, they thanked their devotees for their support.
Right after OneRepublic's performance which was presented by Adam Lambert, Swift was back on the stage to announce recipient for Favorite Rap/Hip-Hop Album. The singer who won early by grabbing Favorite Country Female Artist winner called "Super Bass" hitmaker Minaj to accept the honor.
Minaj once again beat Kanye and Weezy. This win becomes her second victory at the November 20 ceremony. While she acknowledged that there was "so much love in this room" when winning Favorite rap/Hip-Hop Artist earlier in the evening, the femcee got a bit emotional when collecting this second award. "I have to thank Lil Wayne because if it wasn't for him I wouldn't be here," she said before shouting, "Chase your dreams."
The next award went to Hot Chelle Rae. The band who previously presented Swift with Favorite Country Female Artist returned to the stage to bring home their first AMA trophy as Sprint New Artist of the Year. They accepted the gong from Jonas Brothers' Joe Jonas. The band, who served as Swift's opening act for her "Speak Now" tour, won the award over Foster the People, The Band Perry, Thompson Square, Marsha Ambrosius, Miguel, LMFAO and Wiz Khalifa.
Before they received the trophy, Katy Perry was presented with a special achievement award by Heidi Klum. The "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F)" hitmaker was recognized for becoming the first woman in the history of pop music to have five No. 1 singles from one album, thanks to 2010's "Teenage Dream". She previously performed "The One That Got Away".
The girl power continued as Jennifer Lopez was announced as a winner for Favorite Latin Artist. She beat Enrique Iglesias and Pitbull, and accepted the prize from presenters Matthew Morrison and Jennifer Morrison. Before winning the award, she performed a medley of "Until It Beats No More" / "Papi" / "On the Floor".
- Jealous Rob Kardashian Under Investigation for Threatening Blac Chyna's Alleged Lover
- 'Cormoran Strike' Series Based on J.K. Rowling's Novels Lands at HBO
- Miley Cyrus Talks Engagement Ring That She Puts Back on After Liam Hemsworth Reconciliation
- Raven-Symone to Leave 'The View' For 'That's So Raven' Spin-Off
- Bella Hadid Set to Make Her Victoria's Secret Debut, Gigi Hadid Confirmed to Return
- 'Game of Thrones' Set Pics: Look Who's Also Back for Season 7!
- Are They Really Dating? Drake Already Introduces Taylor Swift to His Mom
- Ouch, It Looks Painful! Hugh Jackman Suffers Gunshot Wounds in New 'Logan' Image