Adam Lambert Is Back on AMAs Stage After 2009 Controversy
After the performance that made him a controversy early in his career, Adam Lambert is invited back on American Music Awards stage. The "American Idol" alum will present at the Sunday, November 20 show although the airing network ABC almost got into trouble for airing his same-sex kiss on the stage in 2009.
"Adam Lambert was never banned from the show," AMAs executive producer Larry Klein said to THR. He added, "That thing got so out of control and was just so out of left field. We rehearsed it, and what we rehearsed was not what we saw on the air that night. The kiss wasn't in the script. Did Adam rehearse it on his own and not tell us? I have no idea."
Lambert admitted that he got in the spur of moment when he kissed his male keyboardist on the lips and flashed his middle finger to the audience. "I had so much adrenaline, it did get the best of me in moments, and then in other moments, it fired me up. My favorite thing about performing is the impromptu aspect of it. If you rehearse every step and every move, it's boring.," he said back then.
Lambert would be seated behind Heidi Klum on his first return to the ABC show. He's set for a presenting duty only but there's a possibility that he will perform again on that stage in the future. "Adam Lambert is a friend of ours, he's talented and I like everything about him," said Klein. "It's like [AMAs creator] Dick Clark always used to say: 'I don't care what people do on stage because a stage is for their performance. I care about how people act offstage'."
"Adam was performing on a stage. Did he get carried away? Absolutely. Was he regretful afterwards? Of course he was, but it's over. ABC never banned him and Dick Clark Productions never would. We'd absolutely have him back."
The 39th annual American Music Awards air Sunday at 8 P.M. EST on ABC.
- Katy Perry Crowd-Surfing Twice at Glastonbury 2017
- Blac Chyna Involved in Car Accident
- Kelly Osbourne Shows Her Derriere While Struggling to Get Out of Her Dress
- Kendall Jenner Looks Unrecognizable in Her Latest Instagram Pictures
- Heidi Klum's Boyfriend Vito Schabel Spotted Kissing Another Woman in London
- Angelina Jolie Is Worrying That Brad Pitt Will Get More Custody
- Amanda Bynes Steps Out for Shopping in Beverly Hills
- Gal Gadot Is Already Planning for Baby No. 3