Angelina Jolie to Play Iconic Woman Leader in Gertrude Bell Biopic
Angelina Jolie might land another strong female character for her next big screen project. The longtime partner of Brad Pitt has attached herself to the lead role in a biopic about an iconic woman activist, Gertrude Bell, who is described as the female Lawrence of Arabia.
Bell, who was born in 1868 in England, was the pioneering woman leader in the early 20th century whose work became the modern framework in Jordan and Iraq. She worked for the British Intelligence during the World War I era and became the key figure to the English's dismantling of the Ottoman Empire and subsequent founding of Iraq.
Jolie, meanwhile, is set to release her directorial debut "In the Land of Blood and Honey" in U.S. theaters on December 23. The "Salt" actress has also been attached to star in an untitled Kay Scarpetta project, which is an adaptation of Patricia Cornwell's best-selling novel.
According to The Hollywood Reporter, this "Gertrude Bell" project will be produced by Ridley Scott under his Scott Free Production banner. Scott, whose upcoming project "Prometheus" is scheduled to hit theaters nationwide on June 8, 2012, is also eyed to take on the helming duty. The film's screenplay will be penned by Jeffrey Caine.
- Ryan Reynolds Finally Reveals Why He Looked So Uninterested in That Taylor Swift Photo
- 'Transformers' Star Isabela Moner Lands Key Role in 'Sicario' Sequel 'Soldado'
- HBO and J.J. Abrams Teaming Up for Space Drama 'Glare'
- James Franco's Surprise Role in 'Alien: Covenant' Unveiled
- Angelina Jolie Seen in Public for the First Time Since Brad Pitt Divorce Sans Wedding Ring
- Listen to a Sneak Peek of Louis Tomlinson's Debut Solo Song 'Just Hold On' Featuring Steve Aoki
- They Mean It! Kardashians Not Backing Down Against Blac Chyna Trademarking Her Name
- 'Spider-Man: Homecoming' Sequel Gets Release Date. Mark Your Calendar!