Selena Gomez's Alleged Stalker Set Free as Criminal Charges Dismissed
Thomas Brodnicki, who allegedly made death threats against Selena Gomez, is going free. Although LAPD detectives believe the 46-year-old man posed "serious threat" of killing the teen singer, Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Edmund Clarke Jr. dismissed his felony stalking charge on Wednesday, November 16.
The dismissal came after prosecutors failed to provide sufficient evidence to the judge. Los Angeles County District Attorney spokesperson Sandi Gibbons confirmed it, telling E! News, "After a preliminary hearing the judge over our strong objection ruled that the defendant lacked the intent to cause fear to the victim and dismissed the case. We are evaluating our next step."
While Brodnicki is now a free man, he still has a civil restraining order in place which requires him to stay 100 yards away from the girlfriend of Justin Bieber. A hearing to determine whether or not the stay-away order should be made permanent is scheduled for November 23 at a Burbank courthouse.
Back in October, words spread out that Gomez has filed for and won a restraining order against Brodnicki after he told his psychiatrist he was going to kill her. In the declarations, she and lawyer Blair Berk stated that the Illinois man "reiterated that he had many conversations with God about killing Ms. Gomez."
More Selena Gomez News
- Comic-Con: 'Game of Thrones' Teases Season 7 With Production Video
- 'Kong: Skull Island' Poster Reveals First Look at the Beastly King
- Amber Rose Defends Kanye West Amid Taylor Swift Feud, but Begs Him to 'Stay out of the News'
- Comic-Con: Check Out 'The Walking Dead' Season 7 and 'Fear the Walking Dead' Season 2B Trailers
- 'The Bachelor' Star Chris Soules' Ex Whitney Bischoff Is Engaged Again
- Comic-Con: 'Scream Queens' Stars Share Details of Season 2, Colton Haynes' Cast in Mystery Role
- Dakota Johnson Channels 'Fifty Shades' Character in This Provocative Photo
- Celine Dion Slays Her Impressions of Rihanna, Cher and Sia on 'Tonight Show'