Ricky Gervais Returns as Golden Globe Host, Hints at Holocaust and Pedophile Jokes
The Hollywood Foreign Press Association (HFPA) is apparently not afraid of controversies. Despite receiving complaints about Ricky Gervais' rude jokes at this year's Golden Globe Awards, the association is bringing back the British comedian to host the upcoming 69th annual ceremony.
The decision to hire Gervais was made after HFPA met with a top official at NBC, which will air the prize-giving event. Doug Vaughan, senior vice president of special events and late night programming at the network, said in a statement, "Ricky is delighted to be coming back. He said the Golden Globes show is the most fun he has ever had."
Soon after his hosting gig was made official, Gervais took to Twitter to jokingly hint at his possible materials. "Just told Billy Crystal he'd better not use any of my holocaust or pedophile material at The Oscars. He agreed (true)," he wrote and posted his picture with Crystal who was recently appointed as the 2012 Oscar host.
2012 Golden Globes will be held on January 15 at the Beverly Hilton Hotel. It would be the third time in a row Gervais serving as a host at the event that recognizes the best in TV and movie. In the previous 68th ceremony, the "Life's Too Short" creator was deemed crossing the line with his jokes which targeted some A-list stars, such as Charlie Sheen and Johnny Depp, and "famous scientologists".
- 'Supernatural' Casts David Haydn-Jones as a Mysterious Character
- Lin-Manuel Miranda Releases Tribute Rap for 'The West Wing'
- Kim Kardashian, Kylie and Kendall Jenner Dolled Up for 'Ocean's Eight' Cameo Filming
- Amanda Seyfried Dishes on Upcoming Low-Key Wedding to Thomas Sadoski
- Harley Quinn Might Appear on 'Gotham' Earlier Than Expected
- Soulja Boy Takes a Shot at Chris Brown, 50 Cent, Mike Tyson on New Song 'Stop Playing with Me'
- Is Tina Fey Making 'Mean Girls 2' Without Lindsay Lohan?
- Lady GaGa Builds a Dance Floor in Her Backyard, Shares Crazy Idea for Super Bowl Performance